What New Equiptment Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CalgaryLawnSalon, Jan 29, 2010.

1. CalgaryLawnSalon

CalgaryLawnSalon LawnSite Member

At the end of this winter season I will have $25,000.00 to spend on new lawn mowing equiptment and need to know whats the best for my buck.I'm going to need two ride mowers, some back pack blowers, some edgers, and a lerge trailer to fit it all. I was looking at the John Deere home tractors that can get 4 feet cutting width and arnt too big or bluky?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Go talk to your dealer.

3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

2 riders=16ft trailer in most cases. Do you want enclosed or open trailer?

2 nice back pack blowers will be $1100, 2 edgers (or do you mean trimmers?) $600

I wouldn't go with a tractor for a mower. Figure 10K each for 61" zero turns.

So your 25K will be spent with no issues after you figure the extra's (blades, trimmer racks, gas cans, water cooler, tools for the truck, etc)

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

So if your looking at 48" cutting decks you can expect to pay about $8000 per mower. Don't be going with home owner grade equipment if you are using them in a business. Get commercial grade equipment.

Mowers: 2-48" mowers would be about $16,000

Trailer: 16' open trailer would be about $2500

Blowers: 2 top of the line blowers, about $1000

Trimmers: 2 commercial grade trimmers: $700

Trailer accessories (ie, straps, racks, etc): $1000

Mower accessories (ie, blades, bagging systems, etc): $2000 +/-

Total: $23,200 +/-

5. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

A used 16' trailer can be found for $1k without much trouble. That'll save $1500. Blower and trimmer racks can be had for $50ea....that'll save $850. Straps can be made (for the mowers) for about $20/mower. A set of blades goes for $30 or so. I don't bag, so I can't help there.

6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I should have clarified that all my prices are based on new equipment. But you are right, buying good used equipment can save you some money.

7. Yater

I have no problem with new machines, but very little can go wrong with a trailer and racks. That's what I meant.

8. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Title says new equipment so lets keep to that.

9. Yater

It also mentions lawn tractors. How about a nice new $2500 16' trailer with 2 home depot deere mowers on it? Thanks for the help.

10. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

no way man....i was at a sears store (not home) and they had sum lerge craftsman tractors that were sweet and not too bluky. i arnt got $25k but id be all over those if i did.