what next on this sprinkler system?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by rbig, Apr 11, 2008.

1. rbig

rbig LawnSite Member

New one for me. I'm rigging a big veggie garden plot with sprinklers. The test came back that our well has e.choli.

1. Is it safe to use with e.choli on veggies (sprinkler system)?

2. If not, what are ways of dealing with the water?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Check with your local health dept., ultra-violet treatment (U.V.) mite do the job,
    I'd have the water tested again for amounts...you could have other contaminates, also.
    Don't do anything with the well water until you do both of the above, there could be a failed septic system and/or
    the well is too close to the drainfield.

3. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

start drinking it. what's a little e coli between friends?

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

You just aint lived till ya speant an entire weekend on the toilet.

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I landed myself in the ER after a trip to Honduras and a nasty encounter with e.coli.

Wasn't e.coli the cause of the largest spinach recall ever just last year?

I wouldn't eat veggies that were being watered with e.coli water.

Is there a septic tank around, something that is leeching human waste water into your water supply. That stuff can kill you, or make you poop 20+ times a day. (trust me, I know).

6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Shoot. I can't remember, which of you had gotten hit with west Nile? Peter? Fully recovered yet?

Man if my water was know to have ecoli, I sure as hell wouldn't put it on my veggies.

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I think the veggies have a decent chance of getting it themselves without the help of direct application through the water.!

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We've had a big salmonella outbreak in Alamosa, CO recently where it has been in the drinking water. Over 225 hit with it last I read.

As of April 8, Alamosa had reported 389 cases of likely salmonella infection, with 107 of those cases confirmed by laboratory testing. Sixteen people were hospitalized. quoted from this article http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_8893776

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I've known people here that have had wells get contaminated because of flooding. Tests came back positive for e.coli. Most effective treatment I have heard of is just bleach. Dump a gallon or two in the well and then pump it out for hours... Same thing that well guys do when they drill or service a well. Granted if your well is being contaminated by the bacteria actually leaching into the ground water, then the bleach isn't going to help, but it will if it was a surface type contamination.

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Jason, weve been pumping this water out for hours, after we dumped bleach on down. Take a swig here and tell me what you think!

Would hate to hear that, these situations would suck (or blow)