1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What Next?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Coumbe, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 16'x7.5' trailer with 4' mesh sides.
    1 Ex-mark 32" Metro W/B
    1 21" John Deere Push Mower
    1 Echo 260 Trimmer
    1 Echo Blower
    1 Stick Edger
    35 Accounts.
    I know I need and want more accounts. But what is the next piece of equipment that I should buy?
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda hard to say since you didn't describe your properties. Are they all postage stamp size? Large enough for a wider deck?
  3. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

They are all Small - Med. size residential lots.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Let me add, based on the number of 1's you have. I would start by adding backup equipment for the handheld stuff. I think anyone is asking for trouble to only have 1 trimmer.

So wider mower decks if your properties will allow it, and backup equipment for your handhelds and blower.

You have the customers, but they will not understand if you start getting behind due to equipment.
  5. Andrew S

Andrew S LawnSite Member

observe the quality contractors in your area who service simular properties.

If possible find a buddy who is more advanced than you and who is willing to show you how he works his jobs.

only then when you understand your customers,type of jobs in your target areas etc will you be able to refine how you do business(eg:types of equipment needed,best time to market,what services to offer & when)

6. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with 65Hoss, make all the #1's into #2's and than add maybe a bigger hydro walk behind w/ sulke. You've definitely got a big enough trailer for it all!
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Backup equipment and equipment to do the same job faster is what you will need to make more money and have the time for additional accounts.

8. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Back-up equipment

Then a ZTR You can do more faster.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

1) Your chemical applicators license
    2) Aerator
    3) Overseeder
    4) Dethatcher

Just a few to think about. If I was you I would probably start with #2 from the list.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Get a ZTR. Probably around a 52" would suit your needs. Ypu've already got the trailer space for it. Then get a second trimmer and a start buiding up your business to the point that you could use some part-time help.