What not to do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hamons, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

From a Homeowner Lawn and Garden Forum -- maybe we can learn from the fools!

Anyone had a problem with TrueGreen Chemlawn similar to what
    | > Bradley says?
    | Funny you mention TrueGreen Chemlawn. They are truely evil
    | when they left last week what looked like a $95.00 invoice
    | for what appeared to be work done. They knew my name too.
    | How did they know my personal information and why did they
    | mess around with my lawn? If I catch them mucking in my yard
    | again, they will get a demonstration of my automatic
    | sprinkler system. And they insulted the condition of my lawn
    | and couldn't correctly identify my grass type. Rye is not
    | fescue. Morons.

That is no joke. We used them for one season but weren't happy with
    their work, so we canceled. Actually - their marketing methods were
    more the reason we canceled. They'd call and go "So, we need to
    aerate your yard - when can I come out and do that?" "We don't want
    our yard aerated, thanks." "Ok. Well, it won't do as good if you
    don't...so when can we do it?" "We don't want our yard aerated."
    "Alright. So when can we aerate your yard?" "Please take us off your
    calling list. We won't be needing your services any more. -click-"

Two weeks later, we get a TrueGreen Chemlawn sign in our yard, and a
    bill on the door, for a treatment we never asked for, but
    specifically said we did not want.

My wife has a short temper, and in this case she called them back and
    let them have it.

In spite of this, they STILL keep calling. Luckily, they show on CID.

| Spammers are bad, but if every business barged onto my personal
    | property to give me unsolicited estimates...well, I'm not happy.
    | The practice of marketing these days by companies trying to
    | compete is becoming very annoying. I wish it would stop.

Hmm. I wonder if you could do the "It's coming right for us! -BLAM!-"
    routine, or if you could claim to be "thinning their numbers".

What I dislike most is people that unsolicited come to MY house,
    knock on MY door, and take MY time to make THEM money, and then give
    me attitude when I am not interested. Feh.
  2. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard numerous complaints just like that from many of my customers over the years about TruGreen. Some things just never change, & some people don't know how to take NO for an answer.

3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I have several customers that are ex-TGLC clients.

Not only were they feeling "ripped off" by the service that they were "supposedly" receiving..but were highly agitated that, right after they signed on with TGLC, they were constantly bombarded with telemarketing calls from every service-related company. Storm windows, vinyl siding, driveway resurfacing, painting, roofing, maintanance-free gutters...you name it. And repeatedly. REPEATEDLY!

Do you suppose that TGLC may have made it's client list available to the telemarketing hounds...or is it just a coincidence? ;)
  4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Chem Lawn is new to my area, but I know all about them. I do not believe any of my customers will leave my company for Chem Lawn. As a small business owner, all of my customers deal directly with me. They see me at their property and know they can talk to me anytime. I think a lot of people would rather deal with someone one-on-one, then deal with a big company.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have had nothing but problems with TrueGreen. They wanted to lime one of my customers property and I asked whether they had been out to do a soil test and my customer said no. I told my customer to have them do the soil test first and show you the results. Guess what, they decided not to come out and do the soil test because they said it wasn't worth their time.

I have actually confronted one man in particular this past year and some of the things that he was saying some things to one of my customers. Well, the bad thing was he didn't realize that my customer was my lawyer and I warned him if he would ever say such negative things again that I would bring a case against him of slander. He kissed my butt the rest of the season.
  6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's y everyone calls it True green spendlawn
  7. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

TGCL is a publicly traded company (service master) and they have to answer to shareholders. They have to constantly grow to retain profits and share price. They are more marketing than lawn care. As a solo operator, I'm comfortable with a certain number of accounts and anything more would put a monkey on my back. Wal-Mart is the discount leader in retailing but, numerous companies make great money despite a discounter like Wal-Mart. Find your niche and don't down your competition. For some reason this always backfires.
  8. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

sls, the reason for all the other calls to your clients is:
    service master, the parent company of tgcl. they also father american home shield, sears robuck installations and terminex to name a few.
  9. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I have an older lady customer that used to use them. She said they called her about once a week and said she needed another application for grubs or crabgrass or something she really didnt have. They wanted to treat her lawn about 9 times a season. They even came back and did a couple applications after she cancelled and tried to bill her.

10. Son-in-law

Son-in-law LawnSite Member

I got one on Trugreen for you. Last year, Trugreen started the whole deal package on a lawn next to one of mine. Well, the crew did a decent job, except for burying thier Lazer in the mud. Left the hole, got mud all over my clients drive and did no clean up. My client thought I had done it, until I pointed out where the mud come from.
    Okay, the Spring rains stopped, and everybody turned on the irriagation right. Well, the boys next door must not talk to thier people, because that lawn has well watered. It went on all summer and fall, with the water running 3 or 4 cycles a day. By the end of Aug. my clients backyard usually had 3" of water running through it. Most times couldn't run the mower within 6' of the deck. :mad:
    I talked to my people several times, and they talked to the neighbors, but got no results because the Trugreen guys never said anything. You would think they would have enough sense, but no. One week, I caught them mowing while the irriagation was running. :rolleyes: