1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What octane rated fuel for commercial mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by win1free, May 10, 2004.

1. win1free

win1free LawnSite Member

What octane rating of fuel do most people use in their commercial mowers? Is the 93 octane more beneficial in the long run? Just wondering with gas prices as high has they are, does any one use 87 octane. Does any one find a certain brand that works better (Exxon, Shell, Texaco, etc...).

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 87 on my scag tiger cubs seems to work fine.The dealer told me to go with 89 at the beginning but i didnt really see a difference.I usually go to mobil,shell and exxon stations.
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I use Exxon 87 octane in my Hustler Mini Z. It has worked well for me so I have never thought about trying out 89 or 93 octane.
  4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 89 that is what i put in the truck/ mowers/trimmers/blowers, so it is easier than continuously switching fuel types at the pump.
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I use 89 in all equipment.
  6. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

89 here also.

Avoid using gasolines that contain ethanol and/or methanol additives. These can attract water which leads to separation and formation of acids during storage. Acidic gas can damage a fuel system.

You can just about tell every Spring who uses high octane fuel. They will be the ones that ask how do I get my 2 stroke engine to run after storage? Why does my year old trimmer need a fuel filter and fuel line along with a carb rebuild when it ran fine last fall. Or why will my mower engine only run for 5 seconds and quit after it has been stored during the Winter.
  7. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

I run 87 in everything, truck, mowers and 2 cycle. Proline 21 (2 cycle) started up in 1 pull after storage, other two cycle in 2. kawasaki weedwhacker in 2 pulls and everthing else in under 5. Thought before about using 89, but everything runs great using the cheap stuff, why change if it works.
  8. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

I use 89 octane with 10% ethanol mix. Around here the 89 with 10% ethanol mix is the same price or sometimes a penny less than the 87 octane.
  9. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

89 not supposed to be good for handheld equipment, just what my shop guy said. 87 for everything except maybe the truck sometimes that gets 89.
  10. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I run 92 in the two cycles. Winter does not seem to be harmful on them as stated above. 23 years, two diaphrams. Oil knocks down the octane so I like the higher octane. Run 92 in the mowers because it is simpler to use one pump, one receipt.