what octane should i use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookiemower, Apr 5, 2004.

1. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i usually run standard unleaded in my two cycle equipment, a friend told me i have to run premium, which should i run to make my equipment last:confused: :)

2. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM LawnSite Member

All my small engine repair guys have told me to run Amoco Gold in my mix. Ever since I have started my stuff has run Great and been in the shop a lot less.

3. SpikeMan1021

SpikeMan1021 LawnSite Member

People have told me that too, but I never saw a difference. Just change your fuel filter every year and you should be fine>

4. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

I was told not to put anything but regular in my small engine because it makes them run too hot and decreases the engine life.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My stihl bool recommends the middle grade of fuel (89 rating), but I use 1 mix can and use the 87 octane in everything with no noticeable effects

6. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

I started using 89 grade for my 2 cycle stuff last week after reading in my Echo manuel to us 87 or higher...thought I might give it a try. Might help extend the life of those Zama Carbs.

7. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I started using Amoco Gold (93 octane) in all my 2 cycle equipment about 3 years ago, along with a good synthetic 2 stroke oil (Opti or Amsoil). The 93 octane made a big difference in the way everything runs and stays running. The synthetic runs cooler and with no smoking or fouling. The combination of the two gives more power, better response, less maintenance problems, and for 20 cents a gallon more I will alway use 93 octane in my 2 cycle.

By the way, I made the switch to 93 octane on the advice of a Husqvarna mechanic.

8. Steady Mowing

Steady Mowing LawnSite Member

My dealer say to use the highest octane availalble. Higher octain = cleaner,cooler running engines.

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always run 93 in my truck and equiptment. I've heard all the different opinions on 87 vs 93. I would think the 93 would be better for an engine because of extra additives, but this is IMO. I am by no means an expert in this area.

10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I am going to switch over to 89 on all of my small engines at my next fill up. Sometimes my echo equipment takes a minute to get going. Hopefully this will help!