What % of gross revenues are your wages to employees and self

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Flex-Deck, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I may be a bit nieve, but I have an operation that grosses 125,000, and at the end of the year, my wages paid = 47,000 - of which 28,000 of that goes to my wife and I. We have an S corp, and take the profit from the corp in distributions which are taxed on our personal return. (approx 30000). It seems that when the other (2) employees go on a route, they take a bit longer, and their wages seem to push the 40% of gross numbers. I am thinking of a wage + bonus based on wages should run around 35% of gross.

2. Flex-Deck

This thread is not about superficial stupid crap as to wheather a shidu is better than a stiel, or whatever, this is about the life blood of an operation. Are you guy unaware of your costs, or are you embarrassed about something???

3. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

You have not gotten a response in 17 minutes so you go off the wall. Give it some time or call a local business owner and buy him a lunch and throw it by him.

James

4. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I think you will find a range from 30- 45% depending on the company. I can tell you I'm on the higher end because I pay my guys really well, because I can't afford to continue to train new people.

There's my 2 cnt.

James

5. Flex-Deck

Thanks for your input James - Sometimes we spend our life wondering. Here we can just lay it out and know .

6. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Up to 60% if you take out the proper taxes!

7. Flex-Deck

I absolutely take out the taxes, do the WC insurance etc. I do not offer a retirement program and probably will not do it since i look for retirees that need something to do to fill any mowing positions. Thanks, Brad

8. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

is taxes basically as much per hour as the employee? I have not had to get into this yet.

9. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not only taxes but Workmans Comp also. At least here in Florida, 3 or more employees and you have to have it!

10. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

Atleast if it is 3 or less you don't :p. I'm solo right now but plan on hiring someone part time next year and I look forward to not having WC, of course going through proper documentation to get it excluded. I helped out a company who was only the owner, and 2 employees including me during the summer and he was paying $650/month just for WC.