What oil do you use? 5w or 10w?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TimTim2008, Sep 13, 2009.

Tags:
?

What type of OIL do you use?

1. 5w30 Regular

2.6%
  2. 5w30 Synthetic

15.8%
  3. 10w30 Regular

26.3%
  4. 10w30 Synthetic

31.6%
  5. Other

23.7%
  1. TimTim2008

TimTim2008 LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]

What type oil do you use?

I see some of you guy use 10w30, some 5w30, Some Synthetic, some regular..

I've been using 5w30 Regular, but i may upgrade to Synthetic

2. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

15W40 Rotellla diesel oil in all my stuff. Yes, there are gasoline engines.

3. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

Here we go again.

WHY would you use that weight oil in engines it's NOT supposed to go in? Do you know more about modern day engine design than the engineers? Are you a tribologist?

Sheesh.

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

greendave, I agree with you. I continue to be astonished at this question. Every owner's manual provides the specifications for oil to be used, yet the question still arises. Yes, I ask the same question: Why are you mowing lawns if your expertise in lubrication engineering is better than those who design the engines, and those who warranty them? An engineer who has responsibility for the design and creation of specifications certainly has a better paying position than mowing grass. How does somebody get smart about these matters by following a lawn mower all day?

5. 4.3mudder

WTF??, I don't have to be any of the people to know what I can use.

There are lots of people who use higher weight oils in engines due to less oil usage.

The equipment that I have some of it was used when I bought, lots of hours, ran rough. Oil consumption was high using straight 30, and or 10W30.

You switch to a higher weight oil, all those problems are kept to a minimum.

Next time, think before you speak. I have been running that oil for a long time now with no issues, because there won't be any kind of issues.

Plus, what would be cheaper. Stripping the engine down to put a set of rings, or keeping the oil topped off?

6. 4.3mudder

And if you read the label on the back of the jug, it will say for diesel and gasoline 4 stroke engines. READ.

7. greendave

If your equipment is so old and tired that it needs thicker oil to run properly, then I would submit you have bigger problems than oil can 'fix.'

8. greendave

And how about if YOU read the owner's manual for the engine and FOLLOW the DIRECTIONS for PROPER oil usage.

9. 1998tahoe

1998tahoe LawnSite Member

5w40 rotella synthetic. If it will run a diesel with turbo temps around 1250-1500 degrees it will run a small engine for ever. At least with proper oil and filter changes.

10. greendave

Yup. Most any synthetic will far outperform a conventional motor oil.