What oil do you use? 5w or 10w?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TimTim2008, Sep 13, 2009.

Tags:
?

What type of OIL do you use?

1. 5w30 Regular

2.6%
  2. 5w30 Synthetic

15.8%
  3. 10w30 Regular

26.3%
  4. 10w30 Synthetic

31.6%
  5. Other

23.7%
  1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I've found that 75-90 gear lube is the way to go for all my machinery.

2. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Look you need to lay off. You got everything side tracked because of your BS negativity because I use a different oil.

My equipment runs fine, did you not read that, or you probably misinterpreted that. You run thicker oil in and engine to reduce oil consumption.

Now, if I had a brand new or gently used machine and was using it, I would run the specified oil that is designed for it such as 10W30 or straight 30. But, used equipment i have done that in the past, it does not work, it burns oil, not a lot, but I don't want to have to keep putting oil in it so I choose a thicker weight to reduce.

Talk to nosparkplugs on here, he will tell you the same thing.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

And the diesel oil is severe duty and is actually approved for air cooled engines....dont be so quick to dis Mudder.....Ive been using it for years and never had an oil failure...Shell rottella 15/40 user here also

4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Approved by who, the oil company or the engine MFG.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. dbvolfan1

dbvolfan1 LawnSite Member

My CC Tank with a 23hp Kawi reocmmends 15w-40 Shell Rimula which is basically a premium version of rotella. I've not used 'diesel' oils in a non-diesel before but CC CS sweares thats what I should use.
    Furthermore, I know a bunch of Yammi FJR owners I ride with who have used nothing but Rotella in their 4 cylinder engines for 100k plus miles and swear by it.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im not getting into a pissin contest here....unless you are in canada and operating in a colder climate about any oil will do.....diesel oils are just formulated for higher engine temps, and the make up of the oil is designed to catch and trap dirt and soot better than conventional car oils.... The fleet garage I worked for....the Mobil one, cheveron, castrol and shell reps told me the same thing and recommended me to a diesel oil for my mowers.....4000 hours total on my machines....Im a believer

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Thats what they recommend for the hydraulics....not the engine.

Kawasaki recomends straight 30.

I cant vote as you dont have SAE 30 in your list.

8. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

9. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

:D I like your style.

10. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

I mostly use 10W-40 semi-synthetic or 10W-30. Like the first one much better. 10W-30 turns dark really fast, like it can't handle the heat of air cooled engines, consumption also is much higher. At the scheduled oil change 10W-40 looks and smells better (not scientific I know) and my 36" WB is doing fine after about 1500hrs with this oil.