What oil do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CoupesCuts, Mar 1, 2010.

1. CoupesCuts

CoupesCuts LawnSite Member

I think this will be a hot topic and I'm interested in what you all have to say, so here it is:

What oil do you use in your machines?

Conventional or Synthetic?

What brand?

How does it work for you?
  2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Air cooled mowers Mobil 1 handheld mix Amsoil
  3. ProcsLC

ProcsLC LawnSite Member

Castrol conven. been using it for years, no problems.
  4. CoupesCuts

CoupesCuts LawnSite Member

Why synthetic and how often do you change it?
  5. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

We use Pennzoil in all of our mowers. Change oil every Tuesday. Been doing this for 4 years.

We also have been using Super Tech boat out board oil for all of our 2cycle engines for about 6 years now. I was told by several mechanics that out board oil is the best way to go on any 2cycle engines that you are going to be running hard. We haven’t had any problems out of any of the equipment and a lot of stuff has out lived there life expectances. Considering its $11.00 per gallon and making our stuff live longer then its supposed too, I came to the conclusion that is a great deal.
  6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I just think in a air cooled engine in our Texas heat it is better, no proof though. I change oil at 100hrs and filter at 200hrs. I do run the first 50hrs with conventional oil though and then switch to Mobil 1.
  7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I use Kohler straight 30 in the mowers and opti-2 in the handhelds.
  8. Gunnels Grounds & More

Gunnels Grounds & More LawnSite Member

I use shell Rotella synthetic 10-40
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I use Pennzoil 10w30. 100 hours on the oil, 200 on the filter. Just like the manual says. I've never worn out an engine.
  10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we are at 50 hrs oil and filter, using , hell i dont remember but it works. i know our oil is plenty dirty at 50 and could never go 100hrs, that is way long. our engines state at 50hr intervals except the diesels go 100, but conversly it states 200 on them but we like fresh oil.

we dont get much past about 1200-1600 hrs on a air cooled engine though b4 you can tell it has worked alot, have blown a few that had issues, but over all they still run but we get new mowers at that point.