What oil do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CoupesCuts, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys figure out how many hours is on your equipment?

Do you guys have hour meters on everything? :confused:

2. kylecal91

kylecal91 LawnSite Member

I use Amsoil in everything. Figure it's a cheap alternative to using cheap oil. I use all synthetic even in my diesels, runs cooler, better performance, longer life... the list goes on and on. I recommend Amsoil but any good name brand synthetic is good. Just look at the price first, that will tell you which one to buy...

3. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Used to used Mobil 1 full synthetic but that got expensive, now we use Supertech (Walmart) synthetic for all gas engines and Rotello synthetic for diesel.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Regular Rotella 15w-40 and Opti 2 on 2cycle.

5. a_mow_zing

a_mow_zing LawnSite Member

I hope you do realize that outboard oil is intended for water cooled engines only, right? I would guess that these mechanics are dealer mechanics trying to sell more new machines.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

every machine has an hour meter, of course. only cheaper models dont. of course it is easy to add one so i recommend it

7. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I run the Kohler straight 30, and Stihl synthetic in the handhelds. I change every 50 since I don't rack up hours as fast due to part time use.

8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Gas engines straight 30 Valvoline, every 100hrs oil and filter. Diesel every 250 hrs for oil and filter. I use the recomended JD oil for the diesel.

If you need a hour meter get a Tiny Tach.

9. CoupesCuts

CoupesCuts LawnSite Member

Do you have any proof that the synthetic makes you engine run longer? I hear everyone saying this but I have never found someone who has run two of the same engines side by side on synthetic and one conventional.

10. CoupesCuts

CoupesCuts LawnSite Member

This is the problem I'm running into. I was using Quaker State SAE 30 and by 50hrs it was black. I could never make it to the 100hr interval. So I decided since I like the Opti-2 so much, I'd try the Opti-4. It's not synthetic like most people think. Even after using that (which is way expensive) I couldn't make it past the 50hr mark. This is why I started this thread so I could find out what is working for you guys out there. Am I going to get 100hrs out of a synthetic? Or should I just go back to my Quaker State and change it often. Which is better? Or is there another option?