What oil do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CoupesCuts, Mar 1, 2010.

1. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I've noticed how Quaker State changes color quickly but you can't always go by color.
  2. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Actually both people it came from ether own shops or manage shops and i have been freinds with them for years. I asked the same question and they both said that doesn’t matter. Both of them said the oil is made for high torch and temp motors no matter what cools the motor.

Ether way I know my equipment has out lasting most other companies that I know so I have no complaints about it. The oil is cheaper then most other oils and my equipment is lasting twice as long as other people.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Sure there is. Just take some 50 hour oil and have it tested. Blackstone Labs will do it for around $20. That may seem like a lot but the number of oil changes you'll stop doing unnecessarly will more than pay for the test. You can't look at oil and see if it's contaminated beyond it's abilty to hold more "garbage" or whether the additives and oil are worn out.
  4. 2rkae

2rkae LawnSite Member

I use schaeffer synthetic blend.My friends equipment is run extremely hard he has a 27 air cooled kohler with over 4000 hours and a 33 air cooled generac with alot of hours they just keep going.the kohler had a oil leak and had run completely out of oil.the mechanic tore the engine down and said it was the cleanest engine he had ever seen with that many hours and that there was no wear .that was alot of hours ago not at 4000.That was good enough to convince me because I no his equipment is rode hard and put up wet.his oil changes are probably not as often as it should be.i use schaeffer on my mower and vehicles now 27 liquid cooled kawasaki.I change at 50 hours. does anyone else use this oil and i am curious as to how it compares to amsoil.
  5. a_mow_zing

a_mow_zing LawnSite Member

Alright, I am glad its working out for you. But it should probably be said that if an owner is worried about warranty work that if dealers, most dealers anyway, find out that you are using outboard oil it will immediately void any engine related warranty. Additionally, I have heard that outboard oil isnt as low ash thus it could cause spark arrestor screen problems, but that is easily solved.
  6. IntegrityGuy

IntegrityGuy LawnSite Senior Member

You cant judge oil by the color.

Have you ever noticed that when you change the oil in your truck it is still black when you got to check it???

It just is going to be black. IT does not mean its bad though.
  7. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Mobil One 10-30 and Amsoil here. Nothing but the best for my babies!!!

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Stihl HP ultra for the 2 cycle stuff and penzoil for the mower leafloader and WB blower
  9. a_mow_zing

a_mow_zing LawnSite Member

Nope, never noticed that right after an oil change....I believe that means that either the filter wasnt changed or you didnt get all the oil out.
  10. kylecal91

kylecal91 LawnSite Member

Oil LOOKS dirty way way way before it needs changed, your oil will look black a month after you changed it, that's just the way it is. As long as it doesn't have bits of grit in it and have the consistency of chocolate milk then you're good.