What oil do you use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CoupesCuts, Mar 1, 2010.

1. rain man

rain man LawnSite Silver Member

We use Penzoil Platinum on two Briggs & Stratton 18.5 engines. Change it at 50 hours per recomendation of the John Deere operators manual. Engines showing lots of wear though at 1000 hours so I can't say if its helped.

2. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe you should go to synthetic if you follow the recommended change interval. I can tell you all my cars last 200k miles and still the engine sound good and not burning oil. All I did was change oil every 3000 miles. My Volvo is 19 years old, way over 200K( the odometer broke looooong long time ago). Things start falling off, but the engine still very smooth and the tranny works perfect. All I did is oil change every 3000 miles, tranny fluid change every 10000 miles or so. And I drive the car pretty hard.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Pennzoil Platinum is a synthetic. They think pretty highly of it over at Bob Is The Oil Guy. It's what goes in my wife's Cobalt.

4. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using Valvoline 10W-40 in my Briggs & Stratton engines. Works good. :)

5. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Pennzoil 10w30 and Pennzoil 30wt in everything.

Stihl oil for the 2-cycle mix.

6. Grass887

Grass887 LawnSite Member

Regular Castrol, I was going to switch to synthetic, but my dealer said it would be worthless and a waste of money.

Alrighty, Castrol it is.

Seems to work just dandy.

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Air cooled engines run hot. Heat is a conventional oil killer. We run amsoil in everything and change it twice a year. Amsoil has a very high NOAK volatility rating which means it doesn't break down and burn off as quick as other oils.

8. IntegrityGuy

IntegrityGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I thought you were only supposed to use SAE 30 or 40....

some people are saying they use 10w30. I was told not to use these because they have harmful detergents.... am i wrong???

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

All of my manuals say to use 10w30. What is harmful about detergents?

This is what the inside of an engine looks like if you don't use detergent oils.

[​IMG]

This was common to see before they started using additive packages containing detergents in oil.

10. paulss

paulss LawnSite Member

I just picked up a John Deere 757 with only 350 hours on it and am considering running synthetic in the 25 hp Kawasaki. The operator's manual says to run JD Plus 50 15W-40 in the Hydrostatic Transmission and wheel motors. Is it OK to run Mobil One 15W-40 instead? If not, is there an alternative to the JD juice? Will it hurt anything if I run 10W-40 in it?

Thanks to everyone for their help.