What oil for Ferris WB?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DoetschOutdoor, Aug 15, 2006.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I have an 02' Ferris wb with the 13 Kaw motor and was wondering what oil would be best to use? I do not want to pay $70 for the 6 pack of kaw oil at my dealer bc this mower has no warranty and therfor I should not pay for the insurance with my dealer's oil. What do you guys use in these types of motors? thanks
  2. indysoccer16

indysoccer16 LawnSite Member

we run 10-30 or sae 30wt depending on the time of the year. We run 10-30 in the summer and straight 30 in the winter. We just run regular valvoline oil in the mowers and have had some for 5-6 years since brand new and never had a problem with the 20+ mowers we run. One dixie we had for 11 years and never had a problem. Oil changed in wb every other week and riders every 100 hours.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

We do just the opposite down here, 30w (thicker) in the summer because of the heat and 10w30 (thinner) in the winter. Thinner oil in the winter makes a rope start unit much easier to pull and lubricates quicker.
  4. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

This is my preference too.:drinkup:
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Wayy to many oil questions ... I think I counted 5 threads today alone. 10w30 or sae 30 will do fine.
  6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Your right maniac, I'll get Ms Jody to put up a stickie directing everyone with oil questions to PM you. :laugh: