What oil for hydro?Alternatives?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by aVOLanche, May 5, 2006.

1. aVOLanche

aVOLanche LawnSite Member

My Viking 48 hydro calls for Mobil-1 15W50 (which is now discontinued) for the hyraulic system.Is the Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W50 the proper oil now?Are there any acceptable substitutes?Thanks!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello aVOLanche,
    The Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W50 will work fine.
    Thanks, Brian

3. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

aVOLanche,

The Mobil 1 15W50 is still on shelves everywhere here. If it has been discontinued, there must be a lot of old stock.

My Exmark dealer actually uses Amsoil instead of the Mobil 1. When I ask him for hydro fluid he hands me the Amsoil, so I head down to Zellers for the Mobil 1.

deej

4. aVOLanche

I went to 5 stores(2 Walmarts,PepBoys,Autozone,and O'Reilly's) to even FIND Mobil-1 EP 15W50.I guess all the Exmark owners are buying it out!And it was $6.99 a quart.Walmart had it last year for $3.99.Guess they'll blame this on oil prices,too(even though it's a synthetic).
    I'd bet the Amsoil is fine.It would be nice to have the choice of more than one brand.

5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hello aVOLanche,
    Our engineers have done all of the testing for the Mobil 1 product and it works best in our hydraulic systems. The engineers have done no testing with the Amsoil product. Exmark recommends and warranties the Mobil 1.
    Thanks,
    Brian

6. aVOLanche

Thanks,Brian.
    I'll stick to Mobil-1.