What Oil for Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Redbeard, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Redbeard

Redbeard LawnSite Member
    from TX

I had a dealer tell me to use 10W30 for a 28HP KA but have heard that Kawasaki recommends straight SAE 30. Which is the correct oil that is OEM recommended?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Redbeard,

If this is for your LAS28KA604 unit, you should have received a packet of information when you purchased your unit. Check the engine owner's manual for the recommended service items like engine oil, hydro oil, etc.

KC

3. Redbeard

Redbeard LawnSite Member
    from TX

I did check the engine manual and it has four different weights but none of them is actually pointed out as the most recommended. 10W-30 and SAE 30 are both on the list. I saw on the exmark site FAQ this morning that Kohler recommends 10W-30 but Kawasaki recommends SAE 30.

So if both are listed, is one better than the other?

4. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I use Synthetic Blend 10w30 After Break In and it keeps the Kawi running smoother & longer got one rite now w/over 2500hrs and running strong all original..

5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

My book just says to use 10w30 os SH or SJ quality or better. I am currently running Royal Purple 10w30 in my Kaw 23 FH680V and when I get to the Amsoil warehouse it will be the 4 stroke 10w30 specialty oil they make for them.

Multi-viscosity is supposed to be better than SAE 30 weight. I t has been discussed a hundred or more times on the forum. Do a search on 10w30 and see what comes up...

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Redbeard,

I believe the weight of the oil depends on the temperature range. Please refer back to your engine manual and select the oil weight that corresponds w/ your temperature.

KC

7. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Most (if not all) 10W30 oils are SAE30 compliant...
    Better wear protection in cold weather and for engine starts with multi-viscosity oils.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well this is from the engineers at NASA:

I am a NASA Engineer at Marshal Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. My field of work is Tribology which is the study of friction, wear, and lubrication.

Do not run synthetics in a new rebuild. A new engine needs the added friction allowed by mineral oils to set the rings properly. Chevy found this out on the corvette. These cars came from the factory with Mobil 1 and owners brought them back because of smoking and oil consumption (rings did not seat). Run a good single weight oil for the break in. We found Havaline 30 to be a good mineral oil - in fact we use it for our standard.

9. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

10. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member