what oil for my 34 EFI Kohler on my lazer? there's so many!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by plc87, Jul 9, 2013.

1. plc87

plc87 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Having a tough time deciding on what case of oil to buy for my 34 efi kohler on my new lazer z with RED. Going with a Wix 1348 oil filter I think just haven't decided on what type of oil. My dealer says 10w 30. Any suggestions on brands?

Always used farm and fleets cheap 30 weight in my hustlers 25 kawi and never had any problems....

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Just pic one that meets spec :) Nothing wrong with any standard 10W30. Pennzoil, Valvoline, Shell, Chevron, etc. If you are going to run synthetic, it's hard to go wrong with Amsoil small-engine oil.

Personally I would stick with the Kohler filter as long as it's under warranty.

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I run rotella 10w30 great specs and price.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the 29 efi with only like 40 hours now and I switched it to pennzoil 30wt and purolator pure one filter. The engine is very quiet and smooth and the start up smoke has completely stopped.

5. Evolution IX

Evolution IX LawnSite Member

Amsoil.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. LazerX

LazerX LawnSite Member

eXmark and Kohler have released advisories to use 20w-50 on all Big Block Kohler EFI or Carb. Any good name brand oil but 20w-50
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm using amsoil small engine oil with kohler filters. I bought 12 of the yellow filters off eBay for like 40 bucks so when they run out I will buy purolater pure ones. I'm not sure if the kohlor filters have the anti drain back valve in them. Anyone know?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Kohler has always required 10W-30 in their engines, and I've personally always run their Kohler 10W-30 oil, this way if there is a warranty claim there is no way for them to squirm out of the issue due to claiming wrong oil as a line of defense.

How many hours on your new engine, and is it using any oil?

9. LazerX

LazerX LawnSite Member

This is from recent Service Advisory from eXmark.
    RED Module Limp Home Mode (RMLHM)(Engine governed to 2500, blades won’t engage)
    Check oil condition, level and grade. As the previous advisory stated, the oil should be checked
    after the unit has sat for a couple minutes, and the dipstick SHOULD NOT BE screwed onto the
    tube for the correct level. It is important that operators check the fluid level no less than daily,
    these big block engines may consume more oil than the typical small block engines, especially
    under high load conditions. If it is even slightly low, the oil pressure switch can be tripped,
    triggering the RMLHM. This is especially true on hilly or rough terrain, rapid changes of
    direction or steep trailer ramps.
    Kohler has recently changed their oil recommendations for ALL big block engines (Carbureted and EFI) from 10W-30 to 20W-50 Grade SJ or better. Exmark has found that the change to this oil, not only reduces oil consumption, but can also stabilize the engine oil pressure and prevent the module from prematurely setting the RMLHM.
    (I would also highly recommend using the Kohler Oil Filter)

10. Exmark PR

Exmark PR Sponsor

Exmark recommends using 20W-50 to reduce oil consumption and false low oil pressure faults.