What Oil in Cold Weather in Kaw 14hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, Oct 17, 2000.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

On one of my walk behind mowers, an Exmark Viking 52" we are having problems starting in cold weather. It has the kaw. FC420V,14hp. I use the release spring under the mower but it still about breaks your arm when it jerks the rope out of your hands. I was told to switch to a 10W-30 weight oil instead of just 30 weight. They told me that the auto decompression spring is not heavy enough to pull through 30 weight oil when cold. I have been through about 6 ropes in the past couple weeks. I also figured out that the eyelet on the starting housing was wore through. So you have to order a whole new assembly just to replace an eyelet.. So does any one know if a 10W-30 should cure my starting Blues.

2. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

If oil is the problem: How about trying Mobil 1 Extreme Formula. Its 0W-30.

I dont know if oil viscosity is the problem in this situation or not.

Eric

3. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

here's another thing you could do.....
    store your mower inside,if not wrap the engine in a thick blanket over night and put a tarp over that in case of rain. this should keep the engine a few degrees warmer for that first start. also you could purchase a dip stick warmer in install it at the end of the day and plug it in they cost about $25.00 check at napa.that way you can keep the straight 30w

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

your engine manual is the best place to find out what oil to run,since i do not have a 14hp Kawi I cant help,but most small aircooled OHV engines can run 10w30 as long as temps are not above 85 degrees.I have a FE350 and FE 290 Kawi's we run 10w30 all year in them,with no trouble at all.The synthetic Mobil 1 will make starting much easier.

5. luckylawnboy

Is ok to switch to synthetic oil after using regular oil for about 1500 hours. I have never had one problem out of this engine yet.. Except for cold weather starting.

JC's Lawn Service

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

10W-30 or 10W-40 is acceptable for use in the Kawasaki FC420V from -4 degrees to around 95 degrees.

LuckLawnBoy also said:

<i><b>I use the release spring under the mower but it still about breaks your arm when it jerks the rope out of your hands</i></b>

This is a problem that occurs with all Kawasaki singles. I only use my left arm to pull start these engines.

7. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

I have the 14 hp Kawi in one of my walk behinds. It's a hard starter when it's cold. It is actually my spare mower now so it sits for a long period of time between starts. I use the reccommended 30 wt. oil. I pull the compression spring out and then squirt a little gas down the carbeurator and it usually starts.

8. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well being up in Maine im quit familar with cold weather and we run many machines in winter including Walker mowers, USE 10W-30 straight 30 is for warmer temps.

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 14 kaw on my exmark 48" viking. When it drops below 60 down here, it's real hard to start. 1 day last week I sprained two fingers trying to start it.It snaped back on me. They are still sore this week. My dealer said the new 15 kaw twin is better in colder weather. My next viking will have the new 15 on it.He recomended I stay with straight 30 weight.

10. luckylawnboy

Glad I am not the only one Who has been bitten by that D** thing. I would like tom stick that new 17hp twin on it. Not sure how the pullys would fit the crank shaft. They start easier.