1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What oil in engine?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by onelegjohn, Jun 25, 2002.

1. onelegjohn

onelegjohn LawnSite Member

What is the best weight oil to use in an engine? I have a 18HP Kohler Magnum. Can some one tell me what the manuals reccomend (I think Straight 30) and if 40W is better? Thanks, Nate
  2. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

straight 30 weight for the first 200 hours.....Thank 10w-30 after that......I use Mobil 1 in all my engines.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Straight HD-30W oil is what they recommend in the manuals for "basic" summer use.

If its getting a little old, and you'll have changed it again before it starts getting cold, you could try Straight 40W. But make sure its out of there before temps drop. Let her warm up a bit more with the 40W even in the summer.

You could try 10W-30 but I think you'll be "using" a little oil on a looser/older engine with a thin oil like this.

I used to use 20W in the winter, 30W in the spring and fall, and 40W in the heat of the summer in my old (1968) Cub Cadet 125 (12hp one holer Kohler) It only had splash lubrication, and NO filter so I was changing oil almost weekly!!!
  4. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Straight HD-30 in the Kohler Magnums, that is a flat head style engine that has looser tolerances than the over head valve engines do.
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I've been using the Opti-4 in all my equipment for sometime now. Its a SAE 30. I have recently changed to Mobil 1 10w-30 in my Lazer only. Only because it allows the motor to spin more freely and give me about 50 more rpm's. Its also cheaper than the Opti-4.
  6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Why waist money on any other oil unless its going into a Geo Metro or some other **** car stamped with an expiration date earlier than the milk in the fridge.

Mobil 1 goes in all of my vehicles and equipment. Gas or diesel, air cooled or liquid cooled, turbocharger or not. All of my stuff gets Mobil 1. This is no joke its your livelihood. Use only the best oil, only the best filters (usually OEM filters) change it when needed, and get all the life out of your engines.

7. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

I've been using Valvoline 10w-30 synthetic and I am very impressed!
  8. wildbilly1113

wildbilly1113 LawnSite Member

I use Castrol 10-30 in my mowers and any motor up to 6 cylinders.In 8 cylinders I use 10-30 Pennzoil.Hey Albemarle Lawn, that is probably why my 92 Geo Metro kick-around car has 275,000 miles and still kicken!:angel:
  9. amsoil in everything
  10. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Yep I use synthetic penzoil 10w-30... Works hard in all tempetures.

I'm gonna switch to AMSOIL soon.. I'm gonna pay the dealership fee as someone recommended on here that way I can get what I want deliver to me door... I saw charts on AMSOIL oil filters too.. THe Amsoil filter kicked butt... coupled with the oil... should provide the best.

Not only that, AMSOIL reduces our dependency on foreign oil!!!