What oil in the hydro?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Keith, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Just curious what brand of oil Hustler uses in the Super Z. I need to change my filter and would like to stick with the same brand because most oil manufacturers use various additive packages.

Keith

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Keith,
    I will get you the info here Monday am, I am not at home right now, and that is where I have the info.
    I can tell you we use 10W40, and we add Lubrizol additive in the unit from the factory.

Pj

3. Keith

Cool, thanks. I take it for just a filter change, additional Lubrizol additive will not be needed?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The oil we put in them new is Mobil 10W40.
    As far as Lubrizol goes, if you don’t loose an excessive amount of oil you should be ok, we do not require you to add Lubrizol for a filter change.
    Note: make sure you pre fill the filter with oil before putting it on.

Let me know if you have any more questions

Pj

5. Keith

Thanks Pj.

Just for future reference, when it is time for a complete fluid change, would a synthetic 10W-40 (like Amsoil or something) and Lubrizol be ok? In other words, is there any particular reason not to run a synthetic?

Thanks,
    Keith

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Synthetics would be fine.
    There are a lot of guys out there switching to them on there first fluid change or before that.

Later
    Pj

7. Birdman

Birdman LawnSite Member
    from 6

Which Lubrizoil additive?

8. Keith

Hey, thanks for the speedy reply, as usual.

Well, maybe I will go ahead and do that then. Would you say it should be limited to a 10W-40 though? Not all synthetic manufacturers sell a 10W-40. Amsoil does, but I believe Mobil 1's closest would be a 0W-40. I would assume that would be fine since the 0W is only for extreme cold pumping, most of the time it would never act like a 0W anyway. BTW, What is the max temp that is seen in this hydraulic system during normal operation?

Keith

9. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Lubrizol we use is sold through our network of dealers and is a Hustler part #.

Pj

10. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I am not a oil expert so I can not answer the 10W40 VS the 0W40 question, I will ask our test engineers and get you the info on the temps.

Later
    Pj