What oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grizzly700, Mar 27, 2009.

1. grizzly700

grizzly700 LawnSite Member

Was wondering what is the best oil to run in my 21 hp Kawasaki Yazoo Kees mid max mower. Just wondering what is the best or recommended weight?

2. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

What he said...

3. maintenanceman

maintenanceman LawnSite Member

All air cooled engines should have a good synthetic oil, imo. And keep the the cooling fins clean. Synthetic is optional, but also recommended in water cooled engines.

4. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Yep. What they said.:)

5. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

I would sujest contacting the engine manufacturer. I just recieved a service bulletin from Toro about some Synthitic oils causeing seal problems. It seems that some of the chemicals in them is haveing an effect on the seals.

I would sujest all you guys useing Synthetic oil check with your reps to be sure they are compatible and not have an effect on your waranties. Manufacturers don't like to cover things that are not recomended by them. Put in what the manufacturer recomends and you can't go wrong. It's all in your owner's manuale, and if you don't have one, you can get it on line.

6. michaelee2

michaelee2 LawnSite Member

Amsoil only way to go.

7. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh, and that service bulletin is "General #01-09" you can find it at toro.com under service bulletins, Its topic is use of non-recomended hydraulic oil, but it talks about Lubricants, and Warenties, worth reading.

8. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the name of the oil causing problems?

9. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Any name brand SAE-30 oil will work fine. Change at 100 hrs. You wont have a problem. Can you justify the added expense of synthetics when cost is such a concern? And cost is always a concern ALWAYS. But if you do have addition cash, don't spend it on oil, run premium fuel. That will help more than than the oil. Sometimes, in the summer, FH and FD's will "run on" with lower octane. Now, who's goin to say "but synthetics run cooler"