What on earth does selling lawn mowing rounds mean????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bulls_mowing, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Bulls_mowing

Bulls_mowing LawnSite Member

Hey guys i was reading a book about the chairman of jims mowing his the owner of the largest mowing franchise in the world. The thing that i was wondering was what does selling lawn mowing rounds mean? Does that mean he starts up a lawn mowing business builds it and then sells it and reapeativly does the same thing ??????????????????????????

2. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Well Jims advertise themselves as the biggest, but i am having my dougts about that, some people say Brickmans in America is a franchese if so, if it turns over more than 100,00 million a year its bigger.

Jims sells the terriotys and the buyer who forks out the $30,000 does all the work building it up, all jims do is refer people who ring up to you, after you build up 60 or so customers and go broke with the high fees etc, then you lose it and they sell it to the next bloke.

People join jims because its a well known name and you will get more calls than Bull mowing will get.

After you have enough customers you still have to pay $500-$600 fees a month a lot gos to advertiseing which you dont need any more.

the jims in my town has just gone broke and has lost a lot of money, he drives tractors now, they are waiting for another sucker as we speak, theres plenty of discusson on jims on Australian mowing sites and all can give you reasons they left.:)

3. Bulls_mowing

Bulls_mowing LawnSite Member

Im not planing on joining jims mowing im studying jims success and by the way jims mowing might not be sucessfull from where your from but damn he is extremly sucessfull here in australia

4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i think sandgropher is from Australia as well.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Brickman is NOT a franchise, never has been. They also had 2005 sales of $450 Million.........not $100 Million. Brickman is #2 in the US.

Tru-Green is the largest LCO in America with 2005 sales of $1.5 Billion.

To be the "biggest Franchisee" in thw world really isn't saying much as LCO franchises are not very big or popular, at least not in the US.

6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

mmlawn- You know more about this topic than i do, so why is brickman not a franchise?

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Cause indivl owners can buy a franchise license when you are a franchisee, like one does when they buy a McDonalds or a US Lawns Company. YOU own the business and you bought the right to use the established name. Brickman is soley owned in house and doesn't offer franchises, not in the US anyway (and to my limited knowledge they don't have a presence anywhere outside the US) at least from anything I have ever seen.

8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Many parts of the world, UK, Australia, New Zealand, other countries, franchising is huge. This guy Jim Penman,who is the Jim in Jim's is extremely rich. He also franchises other business type's besides lawn care.Janatorial, carpet cleaning,painting, paving etc. From what I gather, the mowing is what made ole Jim a rich man.

From what I gather from reading the Aussie forum, a round is the equivalent of what we here in the US,call a route.