what operations for sales tax in ny

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tandclawncare, Feb 16, 2008.

1. tandclawncare

tandclawncare LawnSite Member
    from ny

should i be charging sales tax in ny for mowing or landscape installs under a certain amount .we do for plowing ? any help would be great thanks

2. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about plowing, but all landscaping is taxable. Plants, mowing, everything.

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Did you get a license to collect tax? You must have already made contact with some agency that deals with the tax issues. They are the folks to give you the detailed instructions on what to tax, what not to tax. Most likely the agency has a web site with lists, charts, or similar forms, with the complete instructions. No disrespect from other LS members, but the taxing agency is the one who holds you accountable for the collections, and their instructions should be your guideline.

4. tandclawncare

from ny

we were just getting everything in order for spring ,we have to pay 4 quarters in NY .I was at the accountant we were just talking about mowing and landscape installs .he was telling me that some things were non tax if it was a capitol improvement such as a large landscape job .I was mostly interested what others had found .

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

In New York, you should have something similar to what we have in PA. For example,

the link to answer the question about what is taxed, not taxed:

http://www.revenue.state.pa.us/revenue/cwp/view.asp?A=190&Q=174555

Clicking on the .pdf link, a document will open that discusses all the details.

This is for PA, not NY! Since you know you owe quarterly, then you must know the link to the taxing agency. I would be surprised if you don't find a similar .pdf document.

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

The state site has all that info... it's in the same part of the state web site where you can ask for a Certificate of Authority to Collect Sales Tax.

7. tandclawncare

from ny

thanks ill check out the states site and see what i can find :)