What order do I do this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fireguyva, Mar 7, 2006.

1. fireguyva

fireguyva LawnSite Member

I am a full time firefighter in VA. Looking to start cutting grass on my days off. How should i do it? Buy equipment then get jobs or get jobs then buy equipment?

2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Do you get a call for a fire and then buy the equipment? J/K What type of lawns are you trying to go after. Postage Stamp, 1/4 acre, 1,5,10 acres? Do the yards around your neighborhoods have wide gate fences or the ones from the 70's (small gates)What does your business model say?

3. fireguyva

I am looking to do like 1/4 acre lots. Something i can do on my own in about half hour to an hour or so. Cut trim edge air sweep and remove debris. then when i build my confidence back up try mulching and fert programs again...

4. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

First off, welcome to LawnSite.
    Secondly, your profile says you've been in this business for 7 years, give or take. If this is true, should this really be a question you should be asking?
    I had to ask that before anyone else did!
    Joking aside, have you done this in the past and you're looking at getting back in again?

5. fireguyva

i went to school for 2 years studying horticulture 1990-1992. Quit that cause i was broke. Then i got a job with a pretty large co. cutting grass. Worked my way through the weedeater and all that to be foreman on a crew. I was also a volunteer f/f at the time. worked for them for about 5 years full time them got hired as a carreer f/f. continued part time with landscape company in lawn maintenance and installation for 2 more years. that's where 7 +/- come from

6. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

buy equipment first but dont go broke doing it.

7. fireguyva

That's what i am worried about. I am used to the toro w/b. Don't know if it is best or worst in the field. I think i can get started with about $4,000. But don't want to buy this stuff and cut 2 yards...My wife would kill me

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The grass isn't growing yet for another few weeks. See how many customers you can line up first.

9. fireguyva

I just would hate to get beat out of the gate. Since i am new i want to be fresh in the mind but not too early that they forget me by the time they need there lawn serviced.

10. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

lol i went through the same thing with mine, the problem with mine is she doesnt understand business , it takes money to make money. If i were i would talk to her and just ask for her support and to believe in you . theres nothing worse then someone telling you youre gonna fail . just my .02