What "order" do you go in?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RLS24, Sep 19, 2008.

1. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a lot of you guys have a decent sized crew and everything sorta happens at once, but for you smaller guys (like myself) or even the bigger guys if you had to be on your own for a day, what order do you do things in and whats the reasoning for your particular method?

I personally do it this way:

-Trim
    -"lap" the yard once or twice with the 21" as I find it easier to maneuver the bigger mower and it also helps pick up all the crap the trimmer leaves
    -cut with the 36
    -edge
    -blow

kinda backwards from what I see a lot of guys do, but it works for me and I am happy with the results.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Maintenance FIRST, mowing next, everything else right after :p

3. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

I cut, double border because of the turn marks, double border covers them, then I trim. I trim last because I often overtrim if I didn't cut it first. If the lawn is very long, I would trim first because the mower would mat the grass down. We only cut resi's with 21's btw.

4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Flick the cigarette butt in the road, run in back and piss in the woods, pick up sticks on the way back, blow the leaves on the curb into the lawn, mow, trim, blow, go up to the door and kick it a few times if they answer tell them that you need money for the weekend and need to be paid on the spot, walk a straight line back to the truck even if it is through a bed, and leave WOT.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Check the yard for what ever don't belong. Mow, trim & edge, clean-up. Simple and effective!

6. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Such a small thing to worry about. That's like asking if you put your pants or shirt on first in the morning!! Doesn't matter, the end result is the same.

7. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Why would you do the periminter with a push mower and the rest of the yard with a 36?

MOW (with the same mower for the whole yard)
    TRIM
    BLOW

Lets not try and re-invent the wheel here please.

8. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

your funny! :laugh: i use to trim everything first then mow, but lately its been mowing, trimming, then blow everything clean. on somes yards it seems faster that way, since i also tend to over trim when doing that first. then before i leave, LOL piss in the woods...LOL your killing me man with that story! friday night humor....

9. RLS24

RLS24 LawnSite Bronze Member

When I started I would mow then trim, but I noticed a lot of the leftovers from trimming would be left laying on the lawn, and I wasnt happy with the way it looked. By trimming first, it leaves all the trimming scraps on the lawn for the mower to pick up and leaves a finished look. As far as cutting the perimeter with the small mower, I find it easier to run the 36, easier turns, and whatnot. just my way of doing it i guess.

10. Dingojoe

Dingojoe LawnSite Member

For the Dingo, I mow, trim, blow....then piss in the woods, flick the cig, wink at the hot chick next to the pool... priorities man, priorities... THEN after all the heavy equiptment is put away, then it's time for a few Inbev products..(Bud Selects).. :)