What organic application program to use?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tcalb2, Mar 13, 2007.

1. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

I'm new to organic fertilizers and pesticides. I was wondering if you guys had certain types of fertilizer and pesticides that you've had good luck with. I've been told that "sustain" is a good fertilizer but i can't find any information about it. thanks guys

2. flgtr95

flgtr95 LawnSite Member

It is spelled "Sustane" (www.sustane.com), but still $$$. Take a look at Nutrients Plus (www.nutrientsplus.com). If your customers don't care about other people sh**, then look at Milorganite. Other options are available through feed stores and coops such as corn gluten meal (CGM), alfalfa meal/pellets, feather meal, etc (feed type ingredients that feed microbes which release nutrients to plants and turf), but might want to avoid meat and blood meals (attracts pests). Also, CGM is supposed to supress weed germination particularily crabgrass.

There aren't really any true "organic" pesticides, but insecticidal soap, pyrethins and other types of botanicals are being used with mixed results.

3. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. yea i recently got a customer who had gone with Gro-Pro "organic lawn care company" for many years but had alot of weed problems. I was asked if I could help them. I appreciate the help i'm going to look into the natural plus and see what they have.

4. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

I believe you should look into both web sites.

www.GreenGuardian.us [Here you can see what programs we use]

and

www.FarmCropExtracts.com [This has the products we use]

As far as success rates. We treat over 3,000 lawns in Minnesota.

In Canada, we treated over 250,000,000 sq ft and already have exceeded this level for orders for this year.

These programs do work when you work the program.

Keys to success?
    Represent the products accurately [it does not work as fast or as well as
    traditional herbicides however many of the products do work as good or
    better]

Follow the directions on the label

Implement the programs on page http://www.greenguardian.us/services.html

5. greenhobb

greenhobb LawnSite Member

I know of a company that has an organic liquid soil amendment, its called Terra Foods. The company is new, based in South Carolina. I talked to the owner of the company, they were at the trade show in the Garden State Exhibit center in January, they have cutting edge technology, and the product is loaded with bacteria. The price they had at the show, (wholesale), was about $75.00 per acre to apply. The owner was very helpful and informative, he new his stuff. I would look into the product, might be worthwhile.

6. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Definitely check out Nutrients PLUS, it is a real nice product that we have been applying for a few seasons now. The products have great pricing and they work really well as far as getting nice results.