what organic to use as starter for a newly seeded lawn

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by stevedug, Apr 8, 2004.

1. stevedug

stevedug LawnSite Member

our 30,000 sq ft lawn was just seeded with turf fescue. no starter fertilizer was put down. because it was seeded fairly late for middle tn, i need it to germinate and get some roots down quickly to survive the summer. i had planned on using a basic non-organic starter fertilizer, but am curious about maybe using an organic. are alfalfa pellets spread at the proper rate the thing to use? can both be spread or are they mutually exclusive.

i plan on going with an organic program long term because i'd like to improve my soil long term and i hate dealing with drop spreader rates for synthetics.

2. bioman

bioman Inactive

Stevedug,

You can call me at 888-224-8275. Need to ask you some questions before I can give you an answer.

Ron AKA
    BIOMAN

3. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

I've had good results with composted chicken manure. The one I used was bagged 4-3-2 analysis and contained alot of calcium.

4. jkelton

jkelton LawnSite Member

Steve,
    First off - I see you are from the best place on earth (Lascassas). Secondly, give me a call or check out my website (www.terrascapemulch.com). We offer a topdressing service in which we apply about 1/3~1/2" of extremely high quality compost to your turf area. Most of the time, we inject turf seed at the same time. I have had very good results from the jobs I did last fall. I have some before/after pictures I would love to show you.

In fact, I did a job in Lascassas this past Tuesday on a new lawn installation. Unfortunately, there is no irrigation and I do not have high hopes that the seed will germinate properly. But, the homeowner is aware that it is extremely late for seeding - I think he just wanted to get some organics back into his soil.

5. Dchall_San_Antonio

Dchall_San_Antonio LawnSite Senior Member

I would apply compost (chicken is fine assuming it is fully composted) along with alfalfa pellets (because it is cheap).

As much as I like corn meal, bor the best germination, stay away from all corn products on new seeds.

6. bioman

bioman Inactive

Guys,

To get organic programs to be 100% effected you have to know the soil pH, cec, organic matter, and nutrient levels. This is why so many people fail using a 100% organic program. My company will not set up a new distriutor or dealer without taking four soil samples from the area to analyse. At that point we begin to work up a program. Even once a program is written it might need to be treaked for different condition in a yard.

Thanks,

Bioman

7. ChickensDoo

ChickensDoo LawnSite Member

Bioman you are making this a website to sell your products and or services.
    you can take out advertisements to do so. This gentlemens question was whats the best method for starter fertility, synthetic or organic.
    your beginning to piss me off with your snake oil approach to selling your products. and i bet i am not the only one. i am just brash enough to say so.
    yes a soil sample is always a good place to start. how about in the interem applying a product with a 1-1-1 ratio or high p & k to get the seed started ? It will be a non pint by the time the soil sample comes back. Fescue is a cool season plant. In addition addressing the soil with organic matter will be more benificial this fall when i guarantee he will have to reseed anyway.
    Or do you have a snake oil that will guarantee spring seedings?
    Ron please keep this as a forum where we can all share idea's and experiences. not a sales tool for your specific products ok?

8. bioman

bioman Inactive

chickendoo

I am a paying sponsor of this site. If you would check out the new sponsors announcement area you would know that. So I am not using a snake oil approach to sell my products or my program. I would be very happy to help any one out on this site without selling them anything. You are a good example of why organic programs do not work. You need a soil sample to start, and they are turned around in less than 7 days. My post on here are both educational, and based on my experience.

9. ChickensDoo

chickendoo

I am a paying sponsor of this site. If you would check out the new sponsors announcement area you would know that. So I am not using a snake oil approach to sell my products or my program. I would be very happy to help any one out on this site without selling them anything. You are a good example of why organic programs do not work. You need a soil sample to start, and they are turned around in less than 7 days. My post on here are both educational, and based on my experience.
    Oh Bioman.........
    reguardless of paying for space, and i am all for commerce, i know a snake oil salesman when i see one. If i am a good example of why organic programs do not work then i am fooling thousands of people across the country. ( golly gee! maybe ineed to examine my career path) or take one of your classes.
    But instead I will Simply Say " your claims of a lawn turn around in 7 days" are all i need to know. Best of luck to you. and the soil sample is always sound advice, after that point we shall agree to disagree.

10. ChickensDoo

p.s bioman, i checked out the website. Circle one international ring any bells for you? or do you manufacture what you sell?

Best of Luck...For those seeking alternative products, you may wish to check out www.organic approach.com I am not a part of the company, but i feel you will get sound advice there.