what other jobs do people have?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RR Lawn Care, Aug 20, 2008.

1. RR Lawn Care

RR Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I am wondering what other jobs do you all do other than lawns? How do you manage to do them both and when do you fit the lawns in? I am currently a kitchen manager as well and cook at night with weekends off but was applying to other jobs than may be more daytime and still wanted to have my lawns. is it appropriate to do them in the evening or would it all be weekend work?

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im a mechanic from 6 to 2 and do a few lawns in the afternoon. I have seen some Locs do yards in the evening. Daytime is better less time talking to the owners.

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

How right you are,,,,, ya can really eat up some time when customers come out and want to chit chat about the weather and such....

When getting a contract DONT give a TIME to be there, Jsut a DAY. and inform the customer due to unforseen issues you may stray off a day or two.
    List "or tell them" things like weather, Break-downs, this gives them the feeling that your NOT working another job...

Of corse some dont care...

Good Luck

4. STRINGALATION

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

i cook at night myself and do not ever tell them i do something else.
    and i love night work wont do breakfast because days belong to my company and that chit chatting thing can be a pain in the azz i hope to not cook sooner or later

5. t2jackson

t2jackson LawnSite Member

I'm a tech for a wireless phone company , 4 10hr shifts 9pm-7am . Leaves my days free for lawns. Who needs sleep , right ? ;-)

6. GreenAcresLC

GreenAcresLC LawnSite Member
    from KY

Before I got into the lawn biz "full time", I was a long-haul truck driver/owner. Being gone for many days at a time was a little rough on a new family (28 yrs old, married 4 yrs, son 2 yrs old). I sold out in March, bought a bunch of new lawn equipment, and became legit. Now that things are drying up a bit here in KY, I'm beginning to go back to trucking a few days a week, and that is my plan to get through the winter, only more than just a few days a week. My dad owns the truck, is set up with a local coal company to haul their product, I just drive. That's a lot simpler than owning the trucking outfit...it was way worse than being a legit LCO....wayyy more regulation and rules.

7. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a telecomunications Tech, Sunday-Wed 6:30-5:00, leaves me nights during the summer and Thursday-Sat to cut

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i go to school 5 days a week and have sports practices so i dont get out untill 5- 530 and i mow after that and on weekends

9. Burkhart Lawn Care

Burkhart Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Parts man, for for Ford L/M

10. puffyhead929

puffyhead929 LawnSite Member

I do it how stihl guy does it and in the winter I fix iPods