1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what paint should i use on my truck?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by causalitist, Apr 3, 2008.

1. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

i did alot of body work on my old ranger, body looks good now, sanded it, cleaned it, painted with rustoleum automotive primer and then 2 coats of rustoleum white enamel .. these are spray paints. its dry now, but really easy to scratch.. i can scratch it with my finger nail (mind you i have hardcore finger nails) ... this is my crappy truck, so its not a huge deal if it looks perfect.

if i were to sand it a tad and recoat it ... what should i use?

what do people use for painting trucks? i realize some commercial paint in a spray gun, but i dont have that, and its a $600 truck, so what works well?

i swear 6 years ago when i worked for another big landscaping company they had us spray paint the dumptrucks every winter (indoors)

i just need something a little durable .. that can take more than a finger nail ahhaha
  2. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

automotive paint?
  3. Lurch123

Lurch123 LawnSite Member

Hot Rod magazine had an article on how to paint a car with Rustoleum and a roller. It cost like $100.00 and looked really good. They had to thin it out and wetsand the sheot out of it. Go to their website and look up the article.
  4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you can get a coupon for a $199.00 paint job. I had them paint a car of mine years ago when it was $99.00 I got it ready and drove it to Earl's. I helped the guy mask it out to save some time. They shot it, baked it and I drove it away.
  5. CustomKare

CustomKare LawnSite Member

Behr with a Roller!:dancing:
  6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

leave it primer
  7. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

"Begin with the end in mind"
    Get rid of the rattlecans and do it right!
    You can buy an inexpensive primer/sealer and enamel color at your local autobody supply house.
  8. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys, turns out the enamel dried soft because it was 46 degrees out.
    need hot weather!