what part of the job do you absolutely hate to do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Jul 11, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

for me its hedge trimming. i find it to be the most time consuming and customers dont ever wanna pay what its worth. what part of the business do you hate the most? job part that is. :laugh:

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

string trimming!

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Laying off, followed by collections, followed by firing.

4. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Re-Stringing the bump head in the last 4 minutes of a job.

5. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

lol.........I love all of my new equipment, but.......I HATE buying it! :laugh:

6. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i hate unloading the trailer and putting everything back into the garage at the end of the day

7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

EASY one! Cultivating and weeding beds! :mad:

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think it has a lot to do with how much I like doing something, usually the more I like doing it the better the money, which is to say if I dislike something from the git go I am also less likely to really put myself into it.

The thing is, if I don't put everything I got into something then it fails to grow properly, and it ends up as a semi-efficient process and that frustrates, that's when I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth. I don't think it's the customer not paying enough (not that this helps lol) but it's the fact the process isn't as efficient as it could be.

I further find when there is something of that nature it is usually best to find a way to slowly weed that service on out of my company and find an alternate service to provide. Because only when a service is efficient, only when I got it down to where I can get it done like greased lightning, only then does it really pay off for me.

In the case of hedge trimming I have no problem with that, I get paid good money for it and my prices are among the lowest but what I can't deal with is cleaning gutters... But you see there's good money in both, it truly is simply a matter of what it is I like to do.

As for what I dislike, I'd have to agree, collections.
    No matter how efficiently that goes, it still always feels a bit like throwing good resources after someone for free!
    To a point the estimating phase, first having to give them out for free and then always having to watch my back to make sure nobody tries to get over on me (which today it's pretty good but I still get a few here and there who try and try until sure enough one gets away with it, POS lol).
    But, once that's over with it's usually pretty smooth sailing, anyhow...

9. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate pulling weeds...

10. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Weed and vine removals.