What Pattern to Choose

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAZ982500, Feb 21, 2006.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 LawnSite Member

When you cut a lawn, do have any specific pattern you choose to lay down to make it look great.Provided all equipment is in good working condition(blades sharp, good machine).I bring this up because last year I saw a LCO cutting the back of property,about a 1/2 acre lawn, with a vertical back and forth cut then in the a diagonal pattern in the front of the yard were all the traffic went by.I did'nt think it mattered given you could'nt see the back of lawn just wondering if anyone has seen this or does this or who gives a cr*p.Dave.
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Around the parameter twice and then back and forth, alternating every other week. Depending the layout, sometimes it just doesn't make sense to alternate. If that is the case, I will try to stagger or offset the cutting pattern not to drive over the same wheel marks each time.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Like Matt said, we alternate each week. Gotta love watching the homeowners doing it "race track" style.:laugh:
  4. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I try to put as many diff stripes on a lawn as possible (at least 2 sometimes 3 if possible), as long as it will look nice. I wont do stripes in a way that it will take too much longer (if a certain way, the stripes end up shorter and alot more) The first time I cut a lawn I try to stripe in the direction that I think that the homeowner can see it the best. So that when they come home it kinda greets them, more noticable.

5. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I had a customer refer to it as the "circle jerk" method.:laugh:
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Quadra-directional. We do two borders, then cut in our direction. Week 1 N-S. Week 2.E-W Week 3. NW-SE Week4 NE-SW. The diagonals are cut at 45. The initial cuts are cut exactly parallel or perpendicular to the house...NOT the driveway, not the fenceline, not the curbline, and not the property line.
  7. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

good point runner, i hate when stripes are a little off from parallel or perpendicular to the house because they followed a prop line or hedge line or drive.
    DAZ-I think the most important part of your stripes should be that you do some sort of alternating every time or two cutting the lawn to prevent ruts form the tires. As long as the finished product looks good it doesnt matter what pattern the stripes make.
  8. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

When possible I try to alternate every week. Like this, ||, //, =, \\
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

When I want a really great stripping afect I'll go in the same direction for a couple of weeks, then the stripes are in there for good. Then i'll start going in other directions.

It you go in the same direction for a month, the strips will be so everyone will look twice at it.
  10. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here, except I alternate 4 different ways, every week.