1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What people say to get work...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by maple city, Jul 28, 2003.

1. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

This was in our local paper...

X & O* Lawncare

*The name has been changed to protect the ignorant.

Sad part is, his phone is probably ringing off the hook around here.

Just thought I'd share.
  2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

That's pretty bad. Unfortunately you're probably correct. Maybe what they'll get is a weeks worth of business at most, till people see that they're getting what they've paid for. The rest of 'Cheap Lawns' time may be spent running around town giving cheap estimates.
  3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have said this before but there are all types of customers out there. There are the ones who go to McDonalds and order hamburgers and there are ones that go to the Palmer House and order steak.
    I try and attract the steak eaters.

Imagine your business being swamped with 100 calls for a ten dollar mow. How much incentive are you gonna have come week 2? I always say bring it on to these ads because they have absolutely no idea about business. The good thing for you is that these people may need a lawn care company in a few weeks. Just make sure you educate them about steak and hamburger.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Love Ad's Like that, When My Phone rings It The Steak Eaters The cheap Ones Call the Other Number.
  5. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Steak or burger, all comes from the same animal
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Different Area's!
  7. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I feel bad for that guy that put that add in the paper. He's doing what any guy would do to put food on the table.

And if he's just a kid.. Well then I happy that he's learning hard work. I started out the say way.

P&P LawnCare*LandScape
  8. quikag

quikag LawnSite Member
    from Texas

It may not be that he knows nothing about business, he may just want to orient his busines as a high volume with a reduced profit margin, but at the end of the day, all of his eggs aren't in one basket. Now I'm not saying I would put an ad like that out, bluntly advertising my company as being cheap, but you can always attract customers the first year, show them what quality work you do making a small profit, and then the second year increase your price to expand your profit margin. I don't think that's an ignorant way to start/expand a business at all.
  9. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Would it had been better if his ad stated a price (most lawns $25)?
  10. GLAN

GLAN Banned

First of all

None of you know for a fact that he is a low baller.

Think about it. It is a good tactic to get your phone ringing and get you out there estimating.

I have seen adds where I am. Any average lawn cut $17. I called that add one year. Edging was extra, trimming was extra, beds extra. Everything was extra. Just cut and run $17