what percent can salesman take off the list price for a skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrsops, Mar 2, 2008.

1. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

hey guys any of you know up to what percent a salesman is aloud to take off the list price of a skid steer?

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I am not sure what they are allowed. Seems prices fluctuate quite a bit from dealer to dealer and person to person.

3. mrsops

thats what im thinking i wonder what there max is

4. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

I dont think that there is an actual percentage. Depends on brand, model, options, the dealer, and the salesman. In alot of areas sales are way down from past years so you might get different results in different areas.

5. mrsops

yea thats true.. list price on a bobcat s130 is 28,000 there telling me they can sell it for 25,000 thats about 10% does that sound good?

6. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

what bobcat dealership do u use?

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

it depends on the dealers finances, most/some/all, buy them on credit. What dealers pay for their machines is not standardized, if they do not sell and they just sit in their lot, they are eating a high monthly payment for insurance and standing inventory payments. that is why cash is king. if you acquire all you credit needs yourself then you can negotiate from a cash position. A dealer who moves allot of machine will be less likely to cut a super duper deal why should they?.

A dealer that is experiencing a slowdown in sales is more likely to cut a deal at cost or mabey even below, so they can meet their expenses and maintain their manufactures price point (their quota) If they don't meet their quotas they could possibly have to pay more for next years machines. But the opposite could also apply go figure:dizzy:? cash is king don't tell them about the money "show" them the money.

8. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

When you're buying a new machine from a dealer I don't think it matters if it's cash or credit. They just want to move the machine at the best price they can get. In fact, if you're financing, the dealership/credit company is going to make a percentage off of your loan, so they might get a better kickback if you finance unless it's 0%.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

That is exactly right. Cash will get you no better deal than credit.

As far as percentage that is totally up to the dealer. Remember this though, every option on a piece of equipment has a markup associated with it. So the more options it has the more you can take off the price. IF your dealing on a stripped model with no options, bear that in mind when your negeotiating. Always check the internet for the model and year your considering. You can try and talk to other dealers but you wont likely get their true number if your not in there sales area.

10. mrsops

i agree ksss.. what is with this bobcat territory is it like that everywhere??