1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What percent of your estimates are accepted?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RYAN, Nov 21, 2001.

1. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

I was just wondering what percent of your estimates are accepted. I seem to get about 75 to 80% which I think seems high although my prices are pretty much average for my area I think. I have heard varying opinions on what the percentage should be. I was just wondering what you guys thought.
  2. kermit

kermit LawnSite Member

Although I try to prequalify prospects, I close less than half the jobs I submit bids for. If a potential client is price shopping or interested in the lowest price I won't play.
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I think this is a good question. how ever my .02 is we should take into account the source of the customer. If it is a word of mounth or upgrade for our customer then 80% is a fair expectation. If this is customer who called us from the phone book or advertisement then 50-60% is expected. If you are getting a greater percenage then your priced to low. Like everyone I try and cual the price shopper on the phone.
  4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I am with ric on this one. If i have an add on service for an existing customer or a refferal I normally get it no problem.

Its only the new customers that are around 50%
  5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I close on about 60%
  6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone closing over 50% of estimates can afford to raise prices, do a few more estimates and make more money.

With the amount of quality competition your taking orders based on price, your not "selling".
  7. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

i write a good many more estimates than i get, if i get 40% i would think thats great, i'm talking new biz here, referals i agree with everybody else, you get a good % of those. just another reason to always do a quality job, your already one step ahead of the guy they know nothing about. nothing like a good recomendation. if i was getting 75-80% on new biz i'd be covered up, and i would also believe my price was a little on the low side. i don't know about your area but like ric said the price shoppers are everwhere, just like the old farts around here with a 42" murray rider, electric weed eater, POS push mower, there everywhere . and its hard to beat there prices, heck i'm not even gonna try, if i was gonna work for free i'd do it for family and thats about it.

ya'll have a good one, keith
  8. On cold leads, meaning straight from the yellows, the paper, any other ads I don't think you should be closing more than about 10%. I think if you are you are too low.

A wise contractor once told me that. I always thought I was a good salesman, but he was right, I was doing a lot of work for not enough money and it caught up to me. Now I will let the guys stay home before I will do unprofitable work, within reason.
  9. a1 lawncare

a1 lawncare LawnSite Member

my dad told me about the same thing years ago, i think he said around 20%, like maybe 18 or 22 i really can't remember but i feel the same way you do.......also i now alot of times as soon as i talk to the person if it was a dry run or not, there more worried about the price than if i edge or blow off there drive, or if i am lic and ins.

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Grass cutting -- 75%
    Leaves --------- 50%
    Aeration ------- 90%
    Fescue --------- 90%
    Landscaping ---- 40%