What Pipe to Pull?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by TimLawn, Feb 17, 2004.

1. TimLawn

TimLawn LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Wow, There is sooo much knowledge out there! I'm a new member that has been watching the site closely for several months! The question that I have is what pipe does everyone pull? I see alot of you use PVC mains and Poly chutes. Do you use SDR21 or schedule 40? The local reps that I have say most people in my area pull 20' sticks (glued) SDR21 throughout the entire job. However more and more are switching to poly pipe. And what about drains? Does anyone use them?

I have a Case Maxi and a Sullair Compressor.

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Around here in Maryland high end contractors use PVC . SDR21

3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

network with contractors in your area...what works for me in my zone might not be good for you...

use the search feature to find alot of useful info...ask questions as you find the need...but above all, look at sucessful companies in your area and see what they are doing right.

brian:D

4. kennyb

kennyb LawnSite Member

it's about 50/50 here in kansas. each with advantages and disadvantages. i use pvc. can't put drains in on pvc, we air blow everything out in fall to winterize.

5. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

we use mainly Class 200 pvc but will be switching to a combination of pvc and poly this season.

kennyb--we put drains on our pvc.

6. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

In MN, Most residential contractors use Ploy for everyting.
    We use 80PSI Eagle Green stripe poly and have never had a problem with it
    It's much faster to pull than PVC. A typical 1/3 acre yard can be pulled in less than 1 1/2 hours

7. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I only wish we could use vibratory plows!

8. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

Why can't you use a vib plow?

9. ldr1976

ldr1976 LawnSite Member

We use pvc mains and poly for our runs to sprinkler heads. Saves time to attach heads to ploy. Also we freeze very solid so if your pulling you will get slight up and downs in the pipe. We blow everything out for winter but if by chance there is a small amount left over in a low spot( shouldn't be any left over) 100psi poly pipe will take a freeze without busting.