What pipe type would you use for this?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bcg, Feb 19, 2014.

1. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I've got some land in South Texas where I need to setup some water troughs with float valves for wildlife. The distances from the water tap are about 500' and 1500'. I'm thinking of using 3/4" poly and just laying it on the ground but I don't have any experience with poly pipe at all so I don't know if this would be a good application for it. I don't really want to trench in PVC, or use PVC at all actually, I'd rather use something UV resistant that I can just lay down and let nature cover on it's own over time. I also want to do this as inexpensively, and with the least amount of labor possible.

My biggest concern with poly pipe is rabbits and stuff chewing holes in it to get to the water. We have a well hole but there's no pump in it (locals stole it years ago) so we're going to be connecting this to city water and a hole in the pipe could get very expensive, especially since we sometimes go 6 - 8 weeks between visits.

Will Poly work OK for this or should I be using something else?

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Poly will work. I have used it for similar applications. If 3/4 will work for your flow it will be easier to lay than 1" or bigger and you can use netifim staples to hold it in place.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. bcg

from Tx

3/4" should be fine, I don't need much flow since they'll have float valves they'll stay topped off. It doesn't matter if it's only 2GPM at 10 PSI for this application.

I've also got probably 15' of elevation drop on the longer run.

You haven't had any issues with animals chewing on it?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  4. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

south texas........ what kind of wild life?

There are some very intelligente wild life down there. :)

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Polly would definatly work and make quick work of your project.

6. bcg

from Tx

I'm only 70 miles in a straight line from the border, there used to be a lot of "traffic" through there but I haven't caught any on the cameras lately. I've seen pictures from other ranches of those guys using the water troughs to clean up and refill their water bottles.

What I'm worried about are the field mice, rabbits and ground squirrels. We also have dove, quail, javelina, white tail deer, bobcats, coyotes, feral hogs (though none on my place yet) and ocelot that I can think of. There are also a bunch of other bird species down there (green jay, wild parakeets, road runners, Mexican eagles, etc.).

7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

If you were worried about animals you could use 160 psi it is harder. But I haven't had problems with poly getting chewed only netafim occasionally.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

The hogs will destroy anything they want to destroy. We have a huge problem with them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Poly will be fine. Why don't you set an automatic valve at the well so that it only pressurizes the lines to the float valves a few hours a day? That way if something does break it won't leak 24/7... Kind of like a master valve.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. bcg

from Tx

This I know, I had a lease in E Tx that had about 15 miles of roads on it. When we got on the lease, the hogs were so bad that the entire 15 miles of roads looked like they had been disced. I killed 35 pigs in the first 5 weeks I was on that lease and barely put a dent in them.

Like I said, so far I've only got Javelina. I know that it's only a matter of time before the pigs show up and water lines could be an issue with them but short of trenching it in 12" or more, which I really don't want to do, there's no way to stop them.