What plant is this, and what is wrong with it?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by BrendonTW, Mar 10, 2010.

1. BrendonTW

BrendonTW LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma City

I realize this picture is a little far off, sorry. I think this thing needs to be pruned back a bit, as the leaves lower on the stems are green and full, and the ones further out are a bit dry and cracky. I could troubleshoot this myself if only I knew the name of the plant.

This plant is in the morning and early afternoon sun. And it has no shortage of water.

IMG_7055.jpg

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like a Rhododendron to me and looks like it's dying.

3. BrendonTW

Male, from Oklahoma City

There are about 6 of these on this property in different locations. They all look like this. Is there anything I should do to help?

4. Darryl G

Probably winter burn but a severe mildew infestation could make it look similar. The outer leaves are more suceptible to winter burn so that's probably it.

5. BrendonTW

Male, from Oklahoma City

That's what I was wondering. So does it need to be pruned back, or is the plant actually dying?

6. Darryl G

I was just kidding about it dying but it could be. It could be Phytophthora dieback that it has, usually winter burn is the mostly the edges from the leaves drying out. And since they curl up when they start to dry, the edges usually get it the worst. Dieback also affects the newer parts of the plant first. If it's dieback, the infected parts need to be cut off and it may need to be treated with a fungicide.

For winter burn, I wouldn't prune yet. The leaves are probably dead but the buds may have survived. Wait to mid spring and see if they start sending out new shoots. If not, then you can prune back to where the living growth is.

7. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Can I put in a vote for a Little Gem Magnolia. Do these get bid white flowers on them followed by a big seed pod?

8. BrendonTW

Male, from Oklahoma City

Not sure. Haven't seen them in bloom.

9. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

mmmmm... yeah, it does look magnolliaish.I will go with that as well.

10. Darryl G

Hmmm..didn't think of Magnolia because you generally don't see evergreen Magnolias here in the Northeast.

Here's a pic of my Rhodie right outside my window.

rhodie.jpg