What plow do you think is best???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jwilson32, Oct 10, 2003.

1. jwilson32

jwilson32 LawnSite Member

Im starting to get into irrigation pretty heavy and want to buy a plow in the next 6mo. Ive looked at the DW 255sx. We have a dingo and want to know if anyone has had any luck with the plow attachment for it? Is it easy to use, does it do a good job? A realtor im hooked up with is developing a 66 home subdivision starting next spring. And we have the contract for all the landscaping and irrigation. Its going to be a complete turnkey package. Anyway thanks for the advice....
  2. shaper

shaper LawnSite Member

If you're looking for a walk beside I would try the Vermeer LM42 or the Burkeen. Both are plow/trencher combo's. We do a lot of PVC work on Golf Courses so the Case Maxi-sneaker is my pick
  3. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

vermeer lm 42. hands down the best pipe puller.

'nuff said.

brightwood ave 5.jpg
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to see your guys using ear protection. I've had a ringing in my ears for about 12-13 years.
  5. greenworldh20

i have the ringing, too. i learned the hard way listening to all that music in highschool!

i always have laborers and operators wear ear defenders near machinery.

6. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Mini Sneaker with a Onan engine, we also have a vermeer LM 35 , my pick is the Mini so I can sit on my fat arse while I plow.... The only thing I wish it had is a horizontal boring attachment. 2200.00 would put a new one on though.
  7. greenworldh20

why do you guys need to 'sit' while installing pipe?

it has never taken me that long to install pipe...less than one hour for most residentials. for bigger systems (15 plus zones plus main line) it would take longer...but why 'sit'? makes me feel lazy...no offense to y'all with rider plows.

just my .02.

what happens when you hit a rock and the machine 'jumps'?

8. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess my machine is operated at a slower ground speed, I havent hit a rock yet that has jarred me very hard.

How long will it take you to pull in 3000 ft of pipe by yourself ?
  9. greenworldh20

i guess it would take about 2 hours...depends of what we are doing...

if it is a main line, than i can trench, install, connect and backfill about 1000ft/day.

if it is poly...i dunno...never really timed myself. l think the above time is pretty close...depends of the pulls...we have extremely rocky soild up here.
  10. H2O guy

H2O guy LawnSite Member

In response to the original posting:
    The DW 255 sx is tough to beat in small and sharp contour yards. I also operated a Kercher 256 (spelling may be wrong). It was a beast. Pulled 300' 1" poly per minute through an asphalt parking lot as a demo. but it would not hardly turn. I am currently demoing a DW SK500. DW's answer to the Dingo. The plow attachment was taken from the DW 410. Easy to operate, little turf damage and tough.

All this is just my humble opinion.