What PN is G6 Blade For VX4???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by ajbkid, May 10, 2013.

1. ajbkid

ajbkid LawnSite Member

I want to buy Oregon G6 Blades for my 2011 Super Z.
    It leave a blanket of clippings, and its pissing me off.
    I'm running the original Fuzion blades now #602771

Iv been searching on the web for well over 2 hrs no and cant find what i want to know.
    Hopefully somebody can help. Oregon's site just confused me more.

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

396-703

this is if you have a 60" deck

396-704

is for a 52" deck

i'm not sure about 48", 66", or 72" decks

3. ajbkid

ajbkid LawnSite Member

wow, cant believe i didn't say the deck size.
    thanks, im assuming your the same guy that commented on my video.

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

lol yeah. nice videos. you are lucky to have a super z and a turf tiger.

you should post them here. people would love to see them.

5. ajbkid

ajbkid LawnSite Member

Thanks,
    I was surprised to see how many people watch mower videos. I get more views from them.

VX4 doesn't seem bad, just the clippings are too long. Im not having the windrowing problems or big clumps like Mick has.
    We shall see what the Gators do. I should do a video of before and after the gators.

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

yeah. great idea. this is the kind of thing people need to see. that way they will know what works on what mowers and what doesn't without wasting tons of money in the process.

mick is in austrailia so i'm sure the type of grass has something to do with it. the vx4 probably does fine for the types of grass you mow.

the deere, scag, and hustler decks are high velocity decks so they throw the clippings out faster than other types of decks which means the clippings are longer since they don't stay under the deck as long to be mulched up a bit before they exit the deck. putting the G6 blades on you get the best of both worlds. fast discharge and small clippings as well making for an excellent cut in all conditions.

7. ajbkid

ajbkid LawnSite Member

Well the G6 blades came today. I will get up early tomorrow and put them on. Im planning to make a video of before and after. do a couple passes in my backyard as its pretty long.
    After talking to my dealer, they said i needed #396-740
    They measure 20-1/2" as do my original ones.

The 396-703 measure 20-15/16" and i didn't see that working out too well.
    So we will see.
    The Scag sold today and will be gone Saturday, so the VX4 better keep working well. I had a Horrible, horrible time with the VX4 on Monday. It was leaving lines of uncut grass and looked very bad. I had to recut places using the XR7 instead.
    Seems that sharpening the blades fixed it all. I guess it needs very sharp blades.
    Cuts about as good as the Scag now.

8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I sharpen blades every day and still get the clumping. That isn't the problem or you wouldn't have dramas with new blades.
    Even high lifts don't help.

I'm sorry your having the problem. Bring on the vid!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. ajbkid

ajbkid LawnSite Member

In regards to the very long clippings, I guess it seems like Hustler wanted it to do this. Cut the clippings once and get them out of the deck. They even say that in the video hustler has where the guy talks about the new stuff.
    What I don't understand is why the Hustler makes such long clippings, and the scag didn't. What the big difference. Doesn't seem to be much.
    That's my biggest issue now is the "blanket" of clippings. It covers up my stripes and ruins it all. If I double cut it everything is fine, but I can't do that at all accounts.

10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

There is a baffle that goes across the front of the deck. It' closes the gap between blade and the front skirt. Maybe ask your dealer if you can try it. It just bolts on. If cutting heavy grass it will/may choke up the deck though.

Do you leave the deflector up ur down? The deflector will put a heavy coating of clippings on a run. Try lifting it up for a more even cover.
    Posted via Mobile Device