What precautions to take cutting 2 ft. tall grass field with Hustler ZTR?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by DLS1, Jul 10, 2003.

1. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never used the Hustler Mini Z 25 hp/52" to cut an overgrown grass lake lot/field.

It is about 2 acres and pretty thick since it has not been mowed all year. Got a good price to cut it and keep it up but not sure if their are any precautions to take related to the mower for the first mowing.

For this tall of grass/weeds do I need to stop for after 1/2 hour or 1 hour to cool down the engine/oil?

Is this going to put to much of a strain on the engine even if it cuts the grass okay?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Put a set of crappy blades on there, if you dont have a set get a new set and use your old ones, because you will most likely hit something you do not see.
    That is my biggest fear cutting conditions like that.
    No need to stop and cool off the mower, Just take it slow.
    I would stop and make sure the flywheel screen is free of grass, if it plugs up it will cause your engine to overheat, and damage will occur from this.
    The main thing is to watch what your cutting and go slow, to much at once will bog your mower down, it may make good sense to mow it higher then make a second pass at a lower cut.

Hope this helps
    Pj

P.S.
    Take some before and after pics for us !!!

3. DLS1

Thanks, I will try to remember to take pictures.

I had gators put on when I bought the mower a few weeks ago. I guess I will sharpen the regular blades that came with it and put those on.

4. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Same idea - I would mow it as HIGH as I possibly could and then you can always go back and cut it again at a lower level.. or even come back a couple days later after it all dried out from being cut and THEN cut it cause I bet you'll have stringers and stuff left from being 2 FEET tall.

I would also try to walk the property first, maybe using a brrom stick or something to feel around with like I was a blind person with a cane, just to see if you can find the hidden metal chain, cinder block, beer bottle, etc so you don't do any damage.

Gary

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I cut with the deck at the high setting and only use 1/2 of the deck. This way you can mow faster and do a double cut in one opperation. The deck can only handle just so much for discharge and will clog if over loaded, which is no goog. Also, its easyier to see objects in the tall grass when looking at a smaller area. I find that the front tire will hit most objects and alow you time to react.

Gene

6. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on above advice; Except for cinder blocks, etc I usually go right over most debre at 5" cut height which I believe is your max on the Mini and regular Z as well. Then you will be able to see alot more on your second pass in case you need to pick some up.

7. DLS1

Hey gene gls, I like your idea. I will try 1/2 deck and full deck mowing and see how it goes. I will mow this place tommorrow after I get all my other mowing jobs during the day. Save the worst for last so I will have sharp blades at least until I do this job.

Thanks guys and I let you know how it goes.

8. DLS1

I saw the place I was going to cut for the first time. Now I know why the lady accepted the high price I quoted on the phone.
    It was 4 - 5 feet tall thick grass. I told her she could probably find someone to cut it and bale it for hay for free.

A bushhog would not be able to cut it. It would take a tractor with a side bar to cut it.

9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

FWIW,
    I use a modified version of the 1/2 cut on lawns that are not totally too, too long. I take a full cut when throwing the grass into the uncut grass and take the 1/2 cut when I turn around and cut with the chute facing onto the already cut grass. My theory is I want to maximize the "re-cutting" of grass by throwing the larger portion of cut back into the lawn to be re-cut, and then throw the lesser amount of double cut grass on the freshly cut lawn. It's a little faster on some lawns and seems to give about the same finished cut. Both are good alternatives, and since we’re all looking for something to cut time and still give a good cut it’s just another way to skin the cat. Good luck,

10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Good thing you didnt take that on, there had to be something in there to be hit !!!!
    Anyways,
    A local farmer would most likely turn her down to.

Later
    Pj