1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What precautions to take spraying 3-way/fert mix above 80F in cool season turf

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, Jun 21, 2009.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Have to finish up the last little bit of weed control and all week calling for above 80 degree temps, lower the rate or push more gallons per 1000. Thanks

2. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Get up at 6:30 and work til 10... also 6:30pm - dark...

you might be able to get by with spot spraying.. I just would be careful :) It's a terrible feeling to murder a lawn ;)

In shade, you can fudge it a bit.. and my 24d products all say 85 degrees.. and really don't get REALLY dangerous til closer to 90 degrees

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

That is some good advice. Since it has been getting up to 90+ where I am at. I spray lawns between 7-10 and 4-7. Even then, water volume goes up from my usual 2 gallons to 5 gallons. This is how I work until it gets cool again in November or December. Putting down a mix or even straight fertilizer in the midday sun is not good for the lawn or me either.

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d LawnSite Senior Member

hi guys,
    i've only been spraying about a month so i don't know everything but i took the labels that say not to spray above 85-90 to mean at anytime during the day the temps WILL reach 85-90? not so? i have been way behind in spraying just for this reason and now we are calling for 11 days in the upper 90's , heat index 103+. if this isn't the case, what happens differently when i spray at 7am and temps are 75 but 3 hours later they are 90..... or would spray at noon when temps are 90? hope this question makes sense,
    tia,
    steve

5. greendoctor

The precautions I take applies to fertilizer and weed control mixes applied broadcast. Liquid fertilizer applied in the midday sun is dangerous in hot weather. Especially if the turf is not on irrigation. Even if turf is irrigated, the physical property of fertilizer to draw water out of living tissues is magnified when a solution is sprayed and it dries too fast. I am also observant of the turf itself. If it is heat or drought stressed for any reason, I apply nothing to it at all. For that reason, all of my lawns are on irrigation. Even the 1/2-1 acre ones.

6. xtreem3d

just to double check....your saying that the short window from when the chemical hits the turf to after it has dried and potentially pulled water out temps should not be in that 85-90 range (depending on chemical/providing the label states so) ?
    steve

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Don't worry about the herbicide. It is the fert that draws moisture out of the grass blade--burn results. Reduce the fert level to 25 percent of usual, or drop the fert altogether. FWIW.

8. greendoctor

Correct. More important than a temperature is that treated turf not be drought or heat stressed before, during or after application. In my area, there is no such thing as fine turf not on irrigation. The rare exceptions to that, I will only deal with between December and March, where it will not go much above 80 and it is raining regularly.

9. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks everyone. Sprayed 6 yards today got up to about 83. But only sprayed 2 oz. per 1,000 of 4-4-5, and 1.3 oz of three way per 1,000. and everyones yard is irrigated. Just wish I went with a higher water volume but the tank was mixed up from earlier rain delays. Thanks again

10. xtreem3d

i'd also like to say thanks....i've been putting off herb app's because of heat when i guess i shouldn't have...
    steve