1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what pressure washer to buy ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dogdad4, Feb 17, 2002.

1. dogdad4

dogdad4 LawnSite Member
    from La

any suggestions on a pressure washer to buy would be appreciated. I am interested in keeping my equipment clean and for the 2 houses I own.
  2. Downeast

Downeast LawnSite Bronze Member

dogdad I have a washer from sears . It has a 5.5 honda ,and twentyfour hundred psi .nuematic tires . 499.00 .
    It does a good job . It will blast the hell out of things .
  3. hoagie

hoagie LawnSite Member

I picked up a different sears model about a month ago... got it on close-out sale for $179. Its not very big, 4.5hp 1800psi w/ a briggs/strat motor, but does the job for me just fine. Think its still available for a little while more, check it out. Hey chester, what town do ya live in? -kj
  4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a pressure washing business doing decks ,fences,and houses. I started out with homeowner stuff 12 yrs ago. If you can afford $1000 get a 11 hp honda on a 3000 psi @ 4 gallons per min. . You will never regret the price and it will last a long time. There are basically 3 pump types sold for small commercial businesses like mine. Cat pumps are $$$ but the best. General pumps are the best value for the money and AR pumps are ok too. Home Depot sells a Generac brand $995 or so for a 11 hp 3000 psi 4 gpm AR pump. Lowes sells Karcher pressure washers that are great german pumps. I bought a 1200 psi electric karcher 12 yrs ago and I still use it to clean my equipment in the winter.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i had a bigger homeowner ,about 2500 before the rotary nozzle.
    i found that it just wasn necessary for equipment cleaning an an occasional deck job.for one thing. clorox does wonders for most decks.
    for my type use i stepped down to the electric 1300 .
    its done anything i needed.[get the rotory nozzle]
    plus u just turn the water on plug it in an u ready.
    just mine later now
  6. blade11

blade11 LawnSite Member

I would suggest looking on ebay. I got mine on ebay for a great price (including shipping) ...there is a small engine warehouse who auctions alot of them off. Mine has worked out great for me! I think the place who sold it to me was Roy Padgett's Small Engine Warehouse in Muncie, IN. I say look for that before you go out to stores.
  7. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

If my mower decks get a lot of build up I take it to the car wash because you don't have to pickup the grass:D I have a JD electric washer that I use sometimes but is not in great shape and only like 1000psi (ok for mower decks, however). If I bought a new one it would be gas, electric is kind of a pain.
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a Karcher thats about 8 years old. When I bought it, pressure washers wern't very popular. Its only 1750 psi. I'd like to get something over 3000 psi. The plant were I work at in the day. just bought a 36,000 psi pressure washer to remove paint.
  9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a link to a site that has as much info about powerwashing as LS has about lawn maintenance.

You can get info on how much to charge, equipment, technique, marketing, chemicals, etc.
    I don't have any experience personally, but this is a cool site.

10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Ive been thru a lot of pressure washers in the last 11 yrs,we wash our Golf carts daily for 7 months of the yr with powerwashers.At home,I have an 11hp honda/3200psi/4GPM.It is made by excel,I got it at home depot,it had a dent in the fuel tank,and the handle was missing,but otherwise was new.It was 1000 bucks,and i got it for 600,this thing rocks,it has saved me so much time,cleaning things,i can clean my entire house(vinyl siding),3300 sq ft,in about 2 hrs perfectly.it used to take me 5 hr with a 5.5 hp,2000psi,get the best one you can afford,is what i can offer you.We just bought a Karcher 9 hp honda from lowes, for the golf course,it gets used about 3-5 hrs daily,7 day a week,and it held up great this season.It doest seem to have nearly the power of my 11hp,but its much smoother,and the cart is well built too.The biggest thing with powerwashers,is have an adequete water supply,(this is very important for the 4GPM ,and bigger units),few outdoor spigots have enough volume to feed them,and it burns the pump up.and to keep spraying,dont let off the trigger,and back on,this shocks the pump,your better of to keep the trigger held nonstop while using it,the other thing is dont let the motor run without spraying,the water flow cools the pump,o flow,pump overheats.We only get about 1 season out of an AR,or general pump,we have a 5hp/Cat pump we now use for backup,it has 4 yrs on it,still perfect,those cat pumps are the best.