What Price for 28,125 sq ft or .65 acres?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by By-The-Lake, Apr 24, 2008.

1. By-The-Lake

By-The-Lake LawnSite Member

Just curious what others would bid on this property. Went to visit an aquaintence who was looking for lawn care and bid on clean-up and weekly mowing. Anyway while I was there they mentioned that they had received several flyers from other companies one of which was priced at $120/Month - or just under $30 per cut. Our season is based on 26-27 cuts from May 1st - November 1st, so they are actually getting less than $30/cut approximately $27.00, since they aren't getting paid for 3 cuts in May, July, and October due to the monthly billing. The cut is fairly straight forward - trees all around the perimeter with maybe 3-4 in the middle of the property.

This price just seems way low. What do you guys think?
  2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

If there isn't too much line trimming, the price seems pretty solid for where i live. As for Canada, I have no idea if thats the going rate or not.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

over 1/2 acre with light trimming? $30 per cut? Way too cheap even if it is just back-and-forth stuff. I would probably be at $50 minimum for a job like this, maybe a bit more, and this low quote only for very minimal trimming.
  4. By-The-Lake

By-The-Lake LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know I am not the only one who thinks it is a little cheap. I bid $45/cut,trim,blow (although my heart said $50-60) - which I thought was a little on the cheap side of things. I just don't see how they can make decent money off this job @ $27/cut. Agreed if it was just a quick ride on the ZT and no trimming then I would say the price is quite reasonable. They would probably be in and out in 30 min - 1 hour. Howerver, there is probably 30-45 minutes of trimming everything considered, 30 minutes to cut front and back with a ZT and a small gulley that would need to be cut with a 21" or trimmer which would take another 15 minutes or so. I can't see them finishing in less than 1 1/2 - 2 man hours.

Anyway it looks like I may end up getting the account anyway. It seems too many people have signed up for the bargin prices and this company is too busy to take on extra business. The company was scheduled to come by and do the clean-up but were a no-show for the appointment. Oops! The client emailed me recently and has hired me for the clean up and to do a trial cut prior to signing on for the season. Not counting my chickens yet, but it looks quite hopeful that I will land the account and my client will have a really well cared for property. The other company has lots of business anyway - so everything works out in the end.