What price is a fair price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by o-so-n-so, Mar 1, 2003.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Doing a super clean on a new property of a regular customer.
    Here's what I'm doing to the property
    1. Clean out beds and add pine straw. Aprox 1000 sq, foot w/ lots of shrubs. No trimming.
    2.Pressure wash concrete drive and stained areas. Already completed this. 5.5 hrs just pressure washing.
    3. Leaf removal. 2 pecan. 1 oak. some small stuff. About 2 years of leaves in beds. Lawn area leaves have been removed recently.
    4. Blow of roof and clean gutters. They have screen covers. Should be OK.
    5. Pull up artificial turf on carport (15' X 20") and front porch. (5' X 5'). Already done this. About 1.5 hrs to remove glue and dispose.

Costs so far
    1. Pressure washer rental. $104.00
    2.Labor....$80.00
    3.Pine Straw....$50.00
    4.Cleaners...gas...small stuff....$25.00
    Total of $259.00 so far.

Will have one more one more visit to pick up leaves on lawn areas and finish straw in beds.
    I'm thinking about $750.00 to 800.00 scoops.......If not a little more.
    Where would you be on the charge for this work?

I will post before and after photos in few days....

2. ABM

ABM LawnSite Member

I would be in the 900-1000 dollar ballpark for all of this work. I can say definitely that the powerwashing should be 550.00 because if you're not making 100 per hour minimum with a decent machine you shouldn't be wasting your time doing it. Plus if you used any cleaners on the concrete I would charge for them as well.

3. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well I am looking at 7 hours labor so far and $260 in material costs.
    Depending on what you feel your time is worth, I would already be up to about a days pay plus $260 ... about $800.

So then I would have to add on for the other services you haven't done from there ... so I would say that the final job could easily reach $1200.

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I would have priced it before I started the job. In fact, for jobs over $200 here in CT, if you don't give a written contract (with a 72 hour cancellation period) they don't have to pay you.

How can you get this far into a job and not know how much you're going to charge? I don't mean to bash you, but I don't think that's any way to do business.

5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I wish my customers would let me come up with the charges and rates after I do the job. They always seem to want to know what it is going to cost them beforehand. :cry:

6. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Is there anything that you charge by the hour?
    I tell all of my customers that I charge by the hour for anything that isn't already flat rated by the unit or the sq.ft.
    I give them an "estimate" of what I think it will take and tell them it will be plus or minus from there, but if they want a set price to begin with to expect it to be on the high side ... if they aren't willing to gamble, then neither am I ...

7. sergman89

sergman89 LawnSite Member

He must have a great relationship with his client. Personally Ive had clients who knew I had no idea how hard a job was going to be so they were lenient with the total price WITHIN REASON lmfao

One client even handed me a wad of money and said to do whatever I felt was needed, when needed. Its the best feeling in the world when the client knows they can trust you like that.

8. PenningsLandscaping

PenningsLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

$80 for 7 hours of work? You charge 11.42 an hour?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Man, roof and gutters...
    That varies widely depending on number of stories, pitch of the roof, and so on...
    I hope you ain't scared of heights because I am, and I do gutters but I don't get on every roof.
    You have to know how to determine pitch of roof, and you need a ladder tall enough to reach, with a stabilizer.
    They run $300 for a good one, the stabilizer's another $20.

And there's more to it but all these things should have been figured out before agreeing to the work.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing...

On the other hand he did say it was a regular customer, that might help.

Once you have a lot of your costs figured in the labor rate does come close to an hourly wage, the higher labor rates usually factor in the cost of equipment which he tallied in separate to total $259 for 7 hours which comes out to $37 an hour... But I do think it's a bit low as well, it seems like it ought to be closer to $3-400'ish maybe even 5-6 it's really hard to say without looking at any of it...

I would say $325 just so it's not gouging.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The power washing should be about a 100 dollars and half an hour. You should be using a surface cleaner not a wand. You can't charge the customers because you don't have the right tool for the job. PW chems are cheap too.
    Posted via Mobile Device