What procedure do you all use for overseeding and aeration?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ranger520, Mar 27, 2003.

1. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

This is the first year that I am promoting overseeding with aeration and wondering what you folks think is the best procedure for doing this.

2. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

A slit seeder (power seeder) is the best way to overseed. It cuts lines in the turf/soil to ensure better seed/soil contact.

Aeration is straight forward.

If you're asking about seeding after aeration, it's not the best, too often the only seed sprouting is the seed in the holes, too clumpy.
  3. Buba

Buba LawnSite Member
    from PA

If anyone has any questions regarding overseeding or aeration. you can contact any ryan dealer and they can give you free information provided by Textron(parent company). They also have a package they call their profit kit. This includes everything that you need to know about the business. Some dealers charge for this kit and some give it away at no charge. Overseeding and aeration can be the most profitable part of your business if you do it right.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

my method of seeding involves a certain way of putting in seed with a common tine areator,with some modifications. if i did a lot ,id go with the hydroseeder. but as it is now, my method gives me good results.more than one way to skin a cat.
  5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Overseeding in most cool season turf is usually unnecessary. Only time it would be needed is to improve a weak stand with new cultivars, or to repair a lawn damaged by heat stress or some other problem. In southern cool season areas, and definitely in transition zone lawns, overseeding is functional to replace plants lost to heat stress every summer.

Success of any seeding depends on seed/soil contact. Therefore slit seeding is the most useful way to overseed. Seed germination is enhanced by core aeration (and letting aeration cores dry) before slit seeding.
  6. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

In this area people seem to ask for it and are used to get in along with areation and that is the way most are appling it around here.
  7. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree that with most cool season grasses, there is seldom a need to overseed unless as was said to introduce new varieties. If the current turf won't thicken with proper cultural practices, then the new seed probably won't either.

Austreim Landscaping
  8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Ahh..... but Doug, what is the greenest lawn in the springtime? The one that was seeded from scratch last fall, right? New grass always grows great and greens up dramatically. Last week I cleaned up an 11K lawn seeded late last summer - not a brown blade in the whole lawn, LOL. And I'm just seeing a little turf growth here, next to large blacktop areas in full sun all day.

Maybe that fall overseeding gives a little better green next spring, and that is why clients need it.
  9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I Aerate, Seed, Fert, then drag with a piece of chain link fence to brake up the cores and give the seed good soil contact.

Spring is not a good time to Overseed because it will most likely die off in July or August due to heat.

I had a customer ask me to overseed her lawn this spring. I told her I couldn't do it because she had way to many weeds and they need to be treated, then we can Overseed in the fall. Plus I explained the fact about how the new grass would die anyway. She was upset at the fact that she is going to have a very dusty lawn this summer. I explained to her that she should have listen to me last Fall :) (I told her we should Overseed). She won't be doubting me anymore.

Oh! make sure they have not had any Pre-M applied this year.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about a Power Rake? If so, which assembly are you using on it?

Personally, I core aerate heavily and apply starter. Once that is done, I hook up my Thatcherator. Basically it's just a little heavier spring tine dethatcher with a heafty weight tray. I add as much weight as needed to "scarify" or slit the soil. Meanwhile, this is breaking stuff up as weel as the cores. Then I come back with seed and I'm not stingy with it. Then I do whatever I feel is needed to make sure the seed is making good contact.

I have excellent results doing it that way. But I'm sure there are easier ways to get similar results. For instance, the Power Rake w/seeder attachment, slit and seed at once. Also I have seen raving reviews and good results on here from the Aeravator.