1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What product do you use?

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by PaceSetter, Jun 4, 2008.

1. PaceSetter

PaceSetter LawnSite Member

Short answers What product do you Sealcoaters use and how do you apply it?
    - Coal Tar, Oil Emulsion like Black Mac, Acrylic, other ?
    - Squeegee, Roller, or Spray?
    - add sand yes or no ?
    or any combination ?
  2. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I do both

Coaltar - Squeegee/brush - add sand and additive
    BlacMac - Spray - add nothing
  3. GRW

GRW LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Shep, Where do you get your Black Mac? TJ Pounder??
  4. shepoutside

Yes, Mostly at TJ Pounder, and sometimes at Kwik Mix Materials, in Port Colborne. It also available in the Ottawa area too, and in Barrie. Not sure which is closer for you. :canadaflag:
  5. tedford69

tedford69 LawnSite Member

McAsphalt in Ottawa sells Black Mac, it's off Merivale Road in the Bentley Sector. It's priced at $1.22 per litre.
  6. EpicPaul

EpicPaul LawnSite Member

hey shep whats the difference between coaltar and blacmac anyway and just curious why you spray one and brush the other and add sand and additives. Sorry for my new guy questions, still very new at this. I just notice that alot of people only seem to use one product too.
  7. shepoutside

Asphalt coal tar sealer is a mixture of emulsified coal tar, water, mineral fillers, clay, sand and various other mixtures. Seal-coats are applied directly to the surface on asphalt pavement, and can be applied by rubber squeegee, broom, or mechanical spray. Sand is added, to give it it's hardness, and to add the wear factor. Your can add fast-set and latex additives, to seal-coat in colder weather. Seal-coating beautifies the pavement and provides a smooth, black, even surface ideal for painting lines and sweeping, that high traffic lanes, or parking lots would have. In my area, the seal-coat will last 3-5 years. I brush/squeegee driveways, but you can also spray which is preferred for parking lots. Large Parking Lots use a squeegee buggy.

Black-Mac is more for Residential driveways, that do not have the traffic, or wear, that parking lots do. It lasts 2-3 years with normal use. The equipment is alot cheaper. ( having said that, I use a heated tank, so I can spray a longer season) In the states they have groups called Gypsies, that use certain products, and cut them, and add stuff, to scam innocent people. This dose't happen in Canada, and is why there is a problem when people post, and reactions happen.

In my area, Black Mac is the preferred choice for driveways, and seal-coating is more then most want to pay. I only get a few parking lots to seal-coat, mostly condo's, and a few doctors offices. There are not any others that seal-coat in my area. All areas seem to be different, but out east seems to be all Black Mac.
  8. EpicPaul

EpicPaul LawnSite Member

thanks for taking the time to explain shep, i appreciate the help!