1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What product to use now in Ohio.....(getting hot and dry)

Discussion in 'LESCO' started by PTOhioMower, Jun 13, 2006.

1. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

I have been using scotts products for a while on my own lawn and I am looking to use something better. Lesco seems to have a large assortment of products and I hear a lot of the pros talking about them, so I figured I will give it a try.

Now in central Ohio it is getting hotter and drier and I am not quite sure what I can use that wont burn up the grass. I have been checking out the fert fourm here and have heard everyone say that iron is good to really green things up. Is there something I can put down with iron this time of year?

Thank you for your help!!
  2. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

I checked w/ our Tech Services Department, and they said that something along the lines of a 24-5-11 50%SCU with Fe product should work very well at this point, and you should be able to get that at any nearby LESCO Service Center(R) location.

Bob West
  3. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

hey bob, trying to get away from the phosperous, 24-0-11 50%ppscu is the product of choice in central ohio, with it getting hot would recommend 21-3-21 75% ppscu.
  4. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

Understand the position, and you're certainly not alone. I wouldn't say this has become a full-blown trend yet across the industry, but I imagine we've all seen the same regulations as governments are starting to restrict phosphorous content in various fertilizers. Phosphorous is an important nutrient for the plant, but a lot of soils do have sufficient amounts of phosphorous already in them. In those cases, a low-phos or even a no-phos product makes a lot of sense. In those instances, we also recommend a soil test every year or two just to make sure the soils still have sufficient phosphorous in them.