What product would you recommend...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by dobbs, May 26, 2005.

1. dobbs

dobbs LawnSite Member

...for PREVENTING reddish iron stains, which is starting to form on my driveway, walkways, and my house during irrigation.

There is an injection system plumbed into the system. It has a 35 gallon holding tank, and an injection pump that can be set from 1 to 10.

From a previous post - I've already been advised on how to take care of the existing stains.

Our home...along with its irrigation system is pretty new to us, and we're not having any luck contacting the previos owners. I know that he used the irrigation system all the time. When we moved in - we didnt have the rust stains!

Assuming there is a product available - how do I figure the mixture ratio & the pump setting?

Can I use this same system for fertilizing? Can I mix the fertilizer with a product that's used to eliminated the iron stains?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Here are a couple pics of the injection set-up...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey Dave----

Sounds like the stains may be caused by fertilizer. I'm no expert with fertilizers, but I've heard that they can stain concrete, etc. I'm pretty sure it states a warning about that on the packaging.

The injection system you are describing probably is for fertilizing thru the irrigation system, with liquid fertilizers. Is the injection system 'on'? When the sprinklers operate? Do the sprinkler heads 'spray' any water onto the areas being 'stained'? Is the wind blowing the spray from the sprinklers? Is there any 'run-off', from the sprinklers being on too long?

Maybe the previous owner had the injection system 'off', while they were marketing the house? (And had the stains removed.)

See if you can find the manufacturer of the injection system, and look for their web-site on the internet, for more info.

If the sprinkler heads are getting areas wet that can be stained from the fertilizer being used, if that's the case, find an irrigation co. to remedy.

See ya----kerdog