What products do Scotts and other franchised Lawn Care companies use?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by B & A Lawn Care, Nov 14, 2007.

1. B & A Lawn Care

B & A Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I am looking at expanding my business and I am aware that I am going to have to become licensed in-order to use these products but, where can i find the products? I am new to this so I need as much input as possible, thank you all.

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

welp, Lesco is one of the largest sellers of fertilizers. Might want to check them out.
    Andersons also.
    or UAP.

There are many vendors to chose from. You can check them out online.

Good luck

3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

It's OK to know what the competition is doing, but in some cases so you know what NOT to do. Look at their programs, have some suppliers put a program together for you and make a decision YOU feel comfortable with. There are a lot of suppliers avaiable to you, esp. in a larger market such as Cincinnati. Use them, pick their brain. That's what they're there for. You won't agree with every rep.'s program, but that's OK, too. It's all what you feel is right and what you get results with. Some others to look into are Prosource, Ikex, Turfgrass Inc., Triturf. I'm not sure if these are all in your area, but just google them. Or, look at the blenders like, Shaw's/Knox, Spring Valley, Lebanon, Scott's Landscaper Pro, Anderson's. Their websites should point you to suppliers in your area. I know I didn't answer your question directly, but maybe this will help, too.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Very sound advice! Sometimes it is better to do the opposite of the "Big Boys"!

I personally have had great success with LESCO! They will take care of you! They are not the cheapest when you are small....but as you grow they will become very competitive!

I am just North of you about an hour close to the Eaton area.

GOOD LUCK!

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, Lesco is certainly one to look at as well, I didn't mention them because TSM already had. I wasn't dismissing them by any means.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i dont know if HELENA chemical is available there, but they have really great products of thier own and other familiar brands. I have found thier price to be among the best. i have used uap, bwi, and verdicon.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I know that OUR program is completely backwards of everyone elses! :clapping:

8. And why is that runner?

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

that because he starts with lime every season instead of crab control :)

10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Your website said that you're in the Colerain area. Your nearest Lesco store is in Tri County off of Cresentville Rd on the same street as the Champion window store. They have only been at that location for a couple years, but have been in Tri County for a long time.

I'd recommend that you make good relationships with a number of vendors, though! True honesty in business is realized through exploration 'outside of the box' of what the guy in the vest throws at you every morning. Particularly with Lesco- They've been a company since the early '60's, but they're been recently eaten by a Deere, :laugh: and really aren't their own buisiness 'entity' any longer. To say there isn't any instability there is quite an understatement.

Some other names to look up in Cincy 4U:
    CWS on Port Union Rd, Southwest Landmark in Lebanon, Forrest Lytle & Sons on W Galbraith near Winton