What products to carry when just starting out.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fireman1317, Nov 9, 2010.

1. fireman1317

fireman1317 LawnSite Member

Hey all,

What would be a good list of Pesticides and Herbicides that you recommend having on hand or carrying when just starting out? For example does everyone always keep a backpack sprayer of Round-up on hand?

For the record I know that I have to be certified and have my company licensed. I have taken the two day class at Purdue and will be taking by Core, 3a and 3b tests over the next couple months.

:usflag:

2. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

It would all depend on what your doing.

In the spring i just have 3 way and a wetting agent. If i am doing flower beds than a pre and maybe some round up.

In the summer 3 way again and some drive for any crabgrass showing up.

Buy the end of summer you may need different things every things out by than.

If i were you start out with 3way a sticker spreader and play it by ear and see what you need. Don't buy a bunch of chems you don't need.

Charles Cue

3. fireman1317

fireman1317 LawnSite Member

Please pardon my ignorance, but I'm still getting educated. Are you applying each of these products with a backpack sprayer doing spot treatments.

Also, is the best way to do full lawn pre applications or 3 way applications is with a skid or ride on sprayer?

Basically just trying to figure out what I can offer to my customers if I were not able to have a sprayer by next spring.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty simple, for the common broadleaf weeds.
    Straight 3way amine, and either Momentum FX2 or TZone (ester) for the hard-to-kills.
    Carry a hand can with glyphosate mixed up.
    You will want to use a sticker product too (adjuvent), like Lesco spreader/sticker.
    Then, you just need pre for crabgrass, which I always just buy mixed with fert for my first app.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Round up, 3way, celcius, surfactant, defoamer, MSMA (get it quick), Octane and a Pre-m

Tracker dye for a beginner...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

you ask such a broad question. please remember that things you are able to spray up north, I might not be able to spray down here. It all depends on species of turf and temperatures.

Also a lot of guys use lesco...I do not...so many products they talk about are trade names.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe a little overboard for the guy starting out. He DOES need to know these products eventually, but the KISS principal starting out worked just dandy for me.

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought a few here and there and that's what I have now...
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. JD2320

JD2320 LawnSite Member

Spreader stickers are not needed with weed control.

10. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thats a bold statement. Some chemicals need to be mixed with surfactant or seed oil some dont, some waxy leaf weeds need surfactant while some weeds dont. I would respectfully disagree with your assessment that spreader sticker is not needed in weed control as a blanket statement.